Hi, I recently installed a new 500w power supply, a stick of 1gb ddr2 ram, and a used 8600gt nvidia geforce graphics card about two weeks ago.

My computer has been fine until today - it boots up (there is a single beep after it is turned on) but there is no video. I made sure the dvi cable was secure, but there still seems to be no video.

When I tried to shut it off by holding the power button, nothing happened, except for the processor fan stopping. The only way for me to turn it off was to hit the power switch in the back.

I've tried googling this problem, but I have not found any problems identical to mine, so thanks for the help in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Can you boot into Safe Mode?
If Safe Mode works, try installing the Windows Standard VGA driver.
Have you checked the CMOS?

If the CPU Fan stops what makes you think the machine is not off?

Hi there....I have this exact same problem. Computer was working fine and I was moving the ethernet cable from one port to another and when I reattched it the computer just switched off...and on restart was beeping constantly.

I took out the battery on the mobo to reset it and it will restart fine and seems to be booting up (by sound of it anyways) but there is no video output. I have tested it with an older (known working) card but still nothing.

It also will not turn off by holding the power button and the only way I can power it off is by switching the off switch on the rear on the PSU.

Help please??

Thanks,

Kelly

Hi there....I have this exact same problem. Computer was working fine and I was moving the ethernet cable from one port to another and when I reattched it the computer just switched off...and on restart was beeping constantly.

I took out the battery on the mobo to reset it and it will restart fine and seems to be booting up (by sound of it anyways) but there is no video output. I have tested it with an older (known working) card but still nothing.

It also will not turn off by holding the power button and the only way I can power it off is by switching the off switch on the rear on the PSU.

Help please??

Thanks,

Kelly

Hello,

You should really start your own thread. It sounds to me like the cause of your problem is different than the original post.
The original post mentions changing hardware previously, you say that you just switched Ethernet ports.

- Start your own thread and we will try and help.

First thing i'd do is reseat all your cards and ram see where you go from there

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.