I'm not sure this is totally IE-related, however, here is my problem: whenever an image or video is played over IE, the graphics are discolored and distorted, i will show an example later. This problem occurs/occured with AOL, IE, SBCYahoo!, but not with Netscape (pictures are crystal clear). Also, when watching a video in windows media player, the video becomes discolored and distorted, making it impossible to see the images, but using Quicktime player the images are crystal clear. I cannot watch .wmv and .avi files. I can watch .mpg and .mpeg files.

using internet explorer \/
[IMG]http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v247/agt*(V)averick/IE.bmp[/IMG]

using netscape \/
[IMG]http://img78.photobucket.com/albums/v247/agt*(V)averick/net.bmp[/IMG]

When my mom took the computer in last time, the guy knew about the problem, but had no ideas, although he said he didn't think it was the video card (i have a GeForce2 440 MX), so I've just been stuck using Netscape (I'd rather use IE, because of script/plugin issues)
This problem is very frustrating and annoying. Any ideas? :?: Thanks in advance.

BTW, I use Windows 98se 4.10.2222 A
oh and if the images dont show up,
internet explorer image
netscape image

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

Are you using a download accelerator, by chance?

I'm not very computer literate. What is a download accelerator?

A download accelerator is a type of third-party download management sofware which offers (supposedly) faster download speeds than your regular browser. I think what Alex is alluding to is that such a program might be corrupting the downloaded video images.

By the way- being "stuck" with Netscape isn't a bad thing; Internet Explorer is much more prone to spyware/adware/virus/trojan/etc. attacks.

ok, no i don't have a download accelerator, whenever i download Netscape uses download manager
oh, and another thing, i can play most games fine.

games like UT, for example

oh, and even if i am stuck with netscape, i still cannot see .wmv's or .avi's :evil: :evil: :evil:

Perhaps this an issue with the particular driver you're using for the vid card then. Can you go into Device Manager and tell us what exact driver the vid card is using?

i'm not sure....i'll just post as much info as i can find out

manufacturer: NVIDIA
hardware version: 161
date: 3-3-2004
driver files:
-C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NVDISP.DRV File version:4.14.10.5664
-C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\NVMINI.VXD File version:4.14.10.5664
-C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\vmm32.vxd (vdd.vxd)
did that help?

Kind of hard to tell without knowing the exact model of the card.

Has this always happened, or is problem something relatively new? Give us a little more background on that if you can.

has happened as long as i can remember

Hi,

Just wondering if you ever managed to solve the problem. I got exactly the same issue. The only thing I had done in between working ok and the symptoms as you describe them is opening my PC to clean the Heatsink fan. And installed HMonitor Hardware monitoring tool. I uninstalled that, updated drivers, even restored to an earlier point - still no luck which makes me think it could be hardware related since the only other common denominator is opening the PC.

My card is a Creative GeForce2 pro - Nvidia drver version 6.14.10.5216, Windows XP, AMD Athlon 1.3.

go to start -> run and type in DXdiag, post what version of direct X and any errors listed under the display tab

Firstly, with an old nVidia card like yours, I would recommend you change back to using no later than the 4x.xx series driver for your displau card. The 5x.xx series drivers are really more for use with nVida FX cards. Go to nVidias download site, as you did before, but select the 'Driver Archive' entry from the menu, and download the most recent 4x.xx series driver available for your Windows version.

Next, visit the manufacturer website for your system (if name-brand) or motherboard (if your system is 'White-box') and download the most recent version of your motherboard chipset drivers.

Finally, visit and download 'Internet Explorer Service Pack 1' and 'DirectX 9b'

Install them in this order:

Motherboard chipset driver
Display driver
DirectX
Internet Explorer

Installing them all 'over the top' of your existing installation should correct the corruption problems you are having, by overwriting corrupted files and restoring your system's defaults.

Good luck!

I tried all of that and am still having the same problem. I even replaced the Graphics card with a Geforce4 Ti4200 and still the same problem.

Have you downloaded the new nVidia driver/utilities package for WinXP (you may have gotten it from windows update, and it's also included in SP2)?

I just downloaded the package and have the same problem, therefore, changing drivers is probably a good idea. Good luck, and please post your results.

I did do that and I did try removing and going back to to 4x.xx as per Catweazles note on 25th July, but it made no difference.

Please let me know if you have any success.

I had just got a new Dell Inspiron at work and I was experiencing distorted web images in IE only. Netscape was fine.

I found the solution to my problem:

Right Click on your desktop and go to Properties - this should bring up your display properties dialog box.

Next - Go to the settings tab (far right) and then click the Advanced button near the bottom of the window.

The General settings tab is displayed - Look in the first box that says "DPI Setting" - It may say something like "Large Size (120 DPI)" - Change this to "Normal Size (96 DPI)" - Reboot and all should be normal.

Hope that helps -

DesDev

I had just got a new Dell Inspiron at work and I was experiencing distorted web images in IE only. Netscape was fine.

I found the solution to my problem:

Right Click on your desktop and go to Properties - this should bring up your display properties dialog box.

Next - Go to the settings tab (far right) and then click the Advanced button near the bottom of the window.

The General settings tab is displayed - Look in the first box that says "DPI Setting" - It may say something like "Large Size (120 DPI)" - Change this to "Normal Size (96 DPI)" - Reboot and all should be normal.

Hope that helps -

DesDev

omfg, i'm at school right now....when i get home if this works i would like to send you one hundrded billion dollars. :cheesy:

omfg, i'm at school right now....when i get home if this works i would like to send you one hundrded billion dollars. :cheesy:

Well - did it work? I could really use that 100 Billion dollars to get into the World Poker Tour :mrgreen:

Well - did it work? I could really use that 100 Billion dollars to get into the World Poker Tour :mrgreen:

no it didn't work =\

If you have an AMD branded CPU in your PC, here's a possible solution:

http://www.gordonfamily.com/AMD/

I had a client with this problem. I researched it thoroughly on the net, and the above link was the most helpful. I downloaded the bug detection utility, and his CPU was one of the defective chips. I simply replaced his AMD Duron 600Mhz CPU with a new AMD Duron 900Mhz CPU. The problem was instantly solved, plus he got a faster machine.

I don't think AMD ever admitted to this bug. The amount of grief hardware and software manufacturers put us through is mind-boggling.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.