Ok my friend has an ok gaming rig with a 3.4 ghz p4. Hes had it for about a year, and it is running with the stock heat sink. About 2 weeks ago he came back on and it was running extreamly hot, over 60*C on idle! Doing a virus scan pushed it past 80 which the computer shuts its self down by... hes considering watercooling, but why is it so hot all of a sudden? the heat sink and paste is fine...i dont think the mother boards thermometer is wrong because its burning hot to the hand? any help for my friend guys?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

is the system hot can you touch it. because its hot in here.
but i can help you :idea:

is the system hot can you touch it

yes i wouldnt doubt it that its that hot...mine runs at 50* and i can touch it his is like boiling water temps!

You've mentioned that the heatsink and paste is fine. How do you know? Has the heatsink been removed at some stage?

If so, it should be removed again, the surfaces of the processor and the heatsink thoroughly cleaned, and new thermal compound applied. For preference use a good quality compound such as Arctic Silver to get better results.

Removing and replacing a heatsink without cleaning it correctly and applying new compound can cause serious problems.

:cry: you need to go to computers manfacter like dell or what ever computer
have watch out for these sitesVirus Hot List

W32.Bagle.AZ@mm

Santy.A

W32.Zafi.D@mm

W32.Sober.I@mm

W32.Bagle.AT@mm

W32.Mydoom.S@mm

W32.Bagle.D@mm to W32.Bagle.AQ@mm

W32.Mydoom.M@mm

W32.Zafi.B@mm

W32.Sasser worm and variants (attack LSASS Vulnerability)

W32.Gaobot and variants (attack LSASS Vulnerability)

W32.Wallon.A@mm

W32.Gaobot and variants

W32.Sober.F@mm

W32.Netsky.Q@mm

W32.Netsky.P@mm

W32.Netsky.D@mm

W32.Bagle.C@mm

W32.Netsky.C@mm

W32.Bizex Worm

W32.Mydoom.F@mm

W32.Netsky.B@mm

W32.Bagle.B@mm

W32.Mydoom.B@mm

W32.Mydoom.A@mm

W32.Dumaru.Y@mm

W32.Bagle.A@mm

W32.Sober.C@mm

W32.Mimail.J@mm

W32.Mimail.i@mm

W32.Mimail.C@mm

W32.Sober.A@mm

W32.Swen.A@mm

W32.Sobig.F@mm

W32.Welchia worm

W32.Blaster worm

W32.Mimail.A@mm

W32.Sobig.E@mm

W32.Bugbear.B@mm

W32.Sobig.C@mm

W32.Palyh.A

W32.Fizzer.A

"Code Red III" Worm

W32.Deloader.A

W32.Lovgate.C@mm

SQL Slammer Worm

W32.Sobig.A@mm

W32.Lirva@mm

W32.Yaha.K@mm

W32.HLLW.Winevar

W32.Brid.A@mm

W32.Opaserv.A.Worm

W32.Bugbear.A@mm

Linux.Slapper.A.Worm

W32.Frethem.K@mm

W32.Yaha.E@mm

W32.Frethem.E@mm

VBS.VBSWG.AQ@mm

W32.Klez.H@mm

W32.Mylife.B@mm

W32.Fbound.C@mm

W32.Klez.E@mm

W32.Yarner.A@mm

W32.Myparty@mm

W32.Maldal.C@mm

W32.Goner.A@mm

W32.Badtrans.B@mm

W32.Aliz.Worm

W32.Klez.D@mm

W32.Nimda.E@mm

W32.Nimda.A@mm

W32.Magistr.39921@mm

W32.Apost.Worm@mm

W32.Sircam.Worm@mm

W32.Leave.Worm

VBS.VBSWG2.Z@mm

VBS.VBSWG2.X@mm

VBS.Haptime

W32.Matcher

W32.Badtrans.13312@mm

W32.Magistr.24876@mm

W32.Naked@mm

VBS.SST@mm

W97M.Melissa.W

W32.BleBla.b

W32.Prolin.Worm

W32.Hybris

Win32.Navidad

Sonic

W32_MTX
i got that from a site that i was looking at www.hkcert.org

heh heh.....

Good to see you're crediting your sources now, Blacktop. Unfortunately heading back to the manufacturer isn't really going to help with the Warranty run out. If there's an extended warranty been taken out on the PC the Vendor would be a good alternative however. And I'n sure no virus has caused that overheating :D

i know i was just putting sites to watch out for
but thanks

These sites are pointless, IMHO. What makes you think that he has a virus?

These sites are pointless, IMHO. What makes you think that he has a virus?

ok its not a virus hes clean....and its not a store bought rig its newegged (can i claim i coined that term here???)....so no warrenty, he origionally had a stock heat sink on it, replaced it with a copper one a while ago, came back and one of the clips broke off and new egg wouldnt give him a new one so he put the stock one back on with new paste....this is about 4 or 5 months later and it just started to have heat problem instantly one day.

I can say that the paste is fine because its only 4/5 months old and the heat sink is on right still so....any suggestions?

Are you sure the fan on that original heatsink is working OK? Getting full speed from it?

I'd be tempted to rip it off and replace it with a decent one, ensuring that the old thermal paste is thoroughly cleaned from the processor (I use methylated spirits for the job) before installing the new heatsink. If it's that hot, and physically detectable as so, it needs attention.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.