Alrighty... I hope this is the correct forum to post in *glances around furtively*

Anyway, my Dell Inspiron 1150 laptop began resetting itself this last week anytime I touched it below the keyboard. IE, resting my palm on the keyboard, opening DVD drive, plugging in USB mouse, etc., all made the screen go blank. It became unresponsive, and the only indication that it was even on was the fan running and the power light on. After two days of that, it now simply boots straight into hibernation (power light blinking). This occurs both when running on battery and AC power.

I took it apart to see if there were any obvious loose wires, but as my specialty lies more to the desktop arena (IE, I've never seen the inside of a laptop >_>!), and as there were no loose wires, I'm at a loss of what to do.

Can y'all give me any idea as to what's occuring here? If you have any questions regarding the computer, I'll be happy to answer them. Thanks for your time!

well what i would suggest u is have a word with the DELL TECH SUPPORT. probably the best tech support. if the system is under contract nothing like it...someone would come and pick the system from ur place and drop it back within the next few days.
if the system is not under contract...let me know ....does the system...turn ON when started or its the screen that remains completely blank.if that is the case could be a problem with the TFT monitor.the other thing that u could try and do is get to the www.support.dell.com website and u do have an option of an online chat wiht the associates out there.

ALL THE BEST

There is a design flaw in the Inspiron 1150 that is the same that appeared in the 5150. A method to fix it was recently found, given at http://hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/43678/. I was able to fix my 1150 myself this way. I did strip it down before soldering, though. If you aren't comfortable doing this yourself any shop should be able to do it for you.

PS Dell tech. support had no idea of this problem/fix. There approach to a design flaw was to reduce the length of the free warranty, first to 6 months, then to 3 months.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.