I recently built a new computer myself and everything was running smoothly until recently. I've been using a few Adobe programs recently, Photoshop CS4 and Premiere Pro CS4, and now when I open the programs the display will digitize, pixelate, and then my computer will crash. I've also had the same problem with a few video games, Bioshock and Mass Effect 2 to name a couple.

I have a NVIDIA GeForce 9600 GT 2gb
my processor is an Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83 GHz
and I'm running Windows Vista.

Any ideas, tips, trick, or suggestions would really be appreciated.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

There's plenty of things that could cause this. Do you have enough free HDD space?

I'd try uninstalling your Nvidia graphics driver, running driver sweeper (get it here) to remove any left over bits and pieces then install a new driver.

Are you using 64bit Vista?

I have plenty of HDD space, I've got 3 HDD, 2 internal and 1 external. Adobe is installed on my 2nd internal HDD, G:, as opposed to the main HDD, C:. I can't imagine that's causing an error and both drives have about 100 gigs free.

I've tried rolling back the driver but not compleatly uninstalling and then reinstalling, I'll try that now.

Running Vista 32bit

Another possibility is heat. Do you have programs to monitor heat in your CPU, GPU and motherboard? Is your graphics card fan working?

It's not causing this issue, but your system is running on less than 2GB of RAM. 32 bit vista can only address 4GB of memory in total. Your graphics card takes the first 2GB of addresses, other bits and pieces like a sound card take some more, leaving only around 1.75 GB for your RAM. That's not really enough for CS4, but it shouldn't cause this problem, I just wanted to mention it
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/258883-33-graphic-card-stole-memory

Run a memory check on your RAM... If your motherboard has a utility or you can use Memtest86 .... What could be happening is when you start loading specific apps and it starts to address the higher banks of the memory it could be causing the faults. If you do find that the memory has an issue, boot of each individual stick and rerun the test to determine the exact culprit and then replace it.

Also for s**ts & giggles unplug the power and then check and re-seat all your components (memory, video, etc...)

HTHs

good luck

Ran Memtest and didn't find any issues, ran GPUTOOL to test for video card stability, let it run for about 2 hours and the card didn't over heat (Card runs at about 45-50C with no load, 65-70C with load, this is also confirmed running some games for a couple hours). Aside from getting a new video card or a new operating system can I get around the 32bit memory problem?

Rand Prime95 to stress test the CPU and it overheated in about 3 minutes
(Reached 73C, Intel doesn't recommend running about 71.5C), I have not seen the CPU temp reach that high while running any programs at similar usage.

Rand Prime95 to stress test the CPU and it overheated in about 3 minutes
(Reached 73C, Intel doesn't recommend running about 71.5C), I have not seen the CPU temp reach that high while running any programs at similar usage.

Upgrade your CPU fan and make sure you use the doping (aka thermal paste) between them and you should be good to go...

Aside from getting a new video card or a new operating system can I get around the 32bit memory problem?

Technically yes, but the workaround is so crude, it's really not worth it. You can do some technical stuff that allows double addressing, but doesn't work with some programs causing crashes etc. The only proper way I know is to use a 64 bit operating system.

Upgrade your CPU fan and make sure you use the doping (aka thermal paste) between them and you should be good to go...

Yes I agree with that, though you really shouldn't need a new CPU heatsink and fan unless you live in a hot climate. I'd just re-seat it, cleaning off the old goop with an alco-wipe and putting on some good stuff. Arctic Silver 5 used to be the standard, but there's other good ones out there now I think.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.