I recently assembled a computer and installed windows xp home edition (32bit) for media purposes. I already have another computer at home with XP 64 pro but I have been experiencing so many problems with my drives that I just decided to build the other computer. I am using a switch to share the keyboard, mouse, speakers, and monitor between both systems. Everything was just peachy during the weekend but on Sunday night I noticed that on the 32bit computer there were missing icons on the start up menu. That was just the beginning of it. After rebooting I noticed the clock was missing and on each button there was nothing written. After a while there was even more stuff missing. I thought it was a corrupted windows so I reinstalled but no joy it was still messed up. I restarted and tyhen I noticed that on the post screen there where flickering letters and when the windows start up screen came up there where vertical lines across the windows logo. My question is, do I have a bad video card or is it a bad CPU. Could someone bring some light to this dilema. I will s-pend all night troubleshooting this I will start with the video card since I know that CPU's are very reliable and the simptoms tend to point more to a video card malfunction. :!:

Thank you
ToNka

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Hello,

It could be the video card, or perhaps the switch itself. You did mention that the BIOS POST was looking funny -- and that is outside the control / influence of Windoze. Do you see the same behavior when the monitor is connected without the switch?

In my switch at my house, I do get shadows on the video when the switch is present. In my case, the switch is not properly shielded, so there is some cable cross-talk. Yours is far more superior.

Christian

I havent try to see if it wirks without the switch. I will look into it tonight as soon as I get home. I just hope it is the switch and no the video card. I strongly suspect it is the switch. What I know for fact is that it wasn't a corrupted windows what caused it since the problem happens as soon as you see the first information on the monitor after pressing the power button on the computer. Now, the other computer is working perfectly I noticed absolutely no difference in it's performance.

Thanks for the info0 I'll let you know if it worked.
ToNkA

By the way you mentioned a properly shielded switch. My switch was laying on top of the of the surge protector. Could the surge protector produce some sort of interference. My switch is a belking brand and I bought it during the weekend so I suppose it is a pretty recent model.

Thanxx
Tony

I remembered something else. On one of the many attempts to fix it the resolution totally changed to a lower one and the colors changed too, like when you first install a video card without the drivers. That makes me think that the problem could be the video card i'll look into that tonight.

Hello,

It may be the video card, or it may be the video card's driver. I would remove the switch, and expirement with it that way for a while. A messed-up video card can really send your computer for a slide.

Christian

After some serious troubleshooting I discovered the problem, it was the video card. I disconnected the KVM switch and the problem was still there. I switched video card with a newer one and it worked just fine. The problem after that was a half done Windows installation so I had to format the Hard drive and start all over again with the installtion. It is working as advertised now both computers and the switch. Thank you for the advise. Problem solved.

Hello,

Thank you for posting what the solution was! I am glad to hear that things are working better for you, and hope that your new setup remains stable. And you win points by coming back and letting us know what you did to fix.

Christian

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.