I'm not very techno-savvy, but i know enough to get by. Not enough in this case though :P

I start up the tower and it dose it's Memory test whereas I can hit F1 to get to set up.
(There is no issue of freezing in the [BIOS?] Set up.)

After that the screen changes to the Windows XP loading screen.
(The earliest freeze happens right when this screen comes up.)

If I've had to restart the computer [holding power button down as ctr+alt+del don't respond] and I can access the start up options [I.e.. Safe Mode, S.M. w/ networking, S.M. w/ comandprompt, ect..] I can get into any of these modes but will be stopped shortly after about a minuet or two.

I've already Air canned the power unit, fans, motherboard, ect.. Reading over another post here, http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread22251.html I checked the capacitors and two of them [side-by-side] had a brown, ruddy build up on the tops of them.
Two other ones look like there about to do the same, with a small dot of the stuff at the center bulging slightly outward from the capacitor's top.

Not assuming that is the problem, what else could be causing this maelstrom of unexpected freezing's?

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

What version of XP? What Service Pack? How much RAM? Hard drive (and appx how much is free)? Processor type and speed? Antivirus solution? The last thing you did before this started happening? Last program you installed? This info is needed for us to make a guess whether this might be software vs hardware.

Windows XP Home Edition

Service Pack 2

1GB of ram

Barracuda 7200.7 80GB-Hard Drive, No clue on remaining free space

CPU- AMD Athlon[tm] 2400+

Speed 2000MHz/266MHz

CPU Mem Cashe 256k

I don't remember what Antivirus was put on it.

It just started happening. I hadn't installed anything new, not that I can remember at any rate.

Now I'm lucky that the tower even turns on. Spent 5 minuets turning off then back on again untill the Green power light Illuminated.

Hope that helps

A while back I had a similar problem, freezing at the same moments. For me it turned out to be a conflict with the windows XP Universal Plug and Play Drivers and a virtual drive (for mounting disc images). Unfortunately my only solution at the time was format and re-install.

Just checking in. Still no luck with system. Anyone manage to glean any helpful info?

Thanks for your time,
David

What video adaptor do you have.
On board -PCI - AGP ?

hmmm, how cold is it where the computer is stored? if you are using it in the freezer than i dont doubt that it keeps freezing, maybe put it in a warm area, than try turning it on??

What video adaptor do you have.
On board -PCI - AGP ?

e-GeForce 6200 256MB PCI

Could the graphics card be locking the system?

hmmm, how cold is it where the computer is stored? if you are using it in the freezer than i dont doubt that it keeps freezing, maybe put it in a warm area, than try turning it on??

Now that you bring it up i have been getting a weird case of frost bite when I'm sitting around trying to figure out this paranormal anomaly. I'll try and take it outside with an extension cord into the 100' heat next time [winks] heh

no help can be offered?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.