I'm running XP on a Acer Net Book. I could not boot into windows XP. Screen said:" Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: <windows root>\system32\hal.dll. Please re-install a copy of the above file." so I press F8 try to boot into safe mode but it won't allow me going to safe mode.
Please help anyone?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hello,

If you made your ACER recovery disks now is the time to pull them out. Depending on the netbook there MAY be a utility to repair the windows installation as part of the recovery diagnostics but you may need to reinstall the OS to get it working again. If you have the ability to boot from CD and have a winxp cd then you can try to repair the installation.

This thing will not work. i am sure about it .because i face this problem already and i had to go for format a hard disk.

Now i think you have to start your PC regular and then insert XP CD. And then manually install it. So when your system restarts it's automatically copy that missing files and after that it open in safe mode.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.