my dell dimension c521 is restarting itself all the time.I turn on the computer and see the screen - start windows normaly,I scrool down to the comand and I hit the enter key,it does its thing then I see the windows ep logo for about 30 seconds then it starts the process all over again.Start,windows logo start windows logo.
I bought this computer to play a game and the only thing that I have done was install the updates but I think the version of windows ep is fake.I did not install the windows ex.
Now I am not computer savy so please explain in normal terms. thank you
I do not know what BIOS is ok.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

by the way I can get the F keys to work.

I had the same issue. I don't know how many components your running (i.e.- cd drive, dvd drive, hard drive, graphics card, etc.), but your system may be underpowered or the power supply is failing. This may not be your solution, but keep in mind that components have a lifespan. You should also make sure the system is being properely cooled as overheating can cause shutdowns as well. Pop the hood and see how much dust has accumulated inside the case and on the CPU fan. Good luck.

do you mean that just the windows logo re-appears? or the computer fully shuts down? like, you hear the POST beep and then your system comes up again? I agree it sounds like power but if its just the windows splash screen, well, that's why we have google. =P

that's why we have google.

and google takes you to websites like this one !

============================

if the windows xp was fake it would not likely have let you run/install the updates ,did the computer work ok before you installed the updates ,I'm assuming you mean windows updates

my dell dimension c521 is restarting itself all the time.I turn on the computer and see the screen - start windows normaly,I scrool down to the comand and I hit the enter key,it does its thing then I see the windows ep logo for about 30 seconds then it starts the process all over again.Start,windows logo start windows logo.
I bought this computer to play a game and the only thing that I have done was install the updates but I think the version of windows ep is fake.I did not install the windows ex.

Actually, There is only one solution for this!
You have to reboot your system by inserting Window XP CD & reload all the system files
In technical words you have to run Repair 2 after inserting Window XP CD..
The system files will reinstall & the problem will be fixed.
If you are new to the PC then plz contact your near by technician.The whole process will cost you Rs.250/-
Note: It won't delete your data under any drive including C drive
Hence its called as Repair 2 & not formatting.
Hope the Info will help you..... revert me for any further assistance.

You have to reboot your system by inserting Window XP CD & reload all the system files
If you are new to the PC then plz contact your near by technician.The whole process will cost you Rs.250/-

If the above doesn't work, then I'll bet it's either bad memory or a failing power supply.
You never specified if you bought the machine new or from Mr. X. I suspect the latter if you think the OS might be a bootleg.

Hi there,
I've run into this problem recently. Does your Dell have an AMD processor?
Microsoft recently released an update for HP computers with AMD processors, If your machine has an AMD in it, you may have installed an HP only Update and it caused your Master boot record to become corrupted. You can try inserting ANY WIN XP Home or PRO disk and start the machine from there, then once prompted hit R for recovery, it will ask you which version of windows to log into,,usually just hit enter..then password is usually blank, again hit enter,,,now you are in DOS mode.
type FIXBOOT then hit enter,,then type FIXMBR and hit enter,,you will be asked if you really want to write a new MBR and BOOT sector,,YES to both. Then type EXIT,,and the machine will restart,,hopefully now it works. You can also try getting into SAFE MODE and using SYSTEM RESTORE to go back before the issue occurred.
If not,,there are other ways of resolving this issue, such as booting your computer with a LIVE LINUX CD and manually editing your registry changes and updates from in Linux..Very time consuming for anyone that does not know how to do so.
I hope I helped a little. :)
The only other option I can think of right away is Get a Windows Disk and re-format.

Actually I found 4 different solutions to this issue depending on whether it was a corrupted update,,registry edit, or failing part, I repaired my grandmothers using a live Linux CD to boot the machine and manually uninstalled the WINDOWS UPDATES she had gotten the messed up HP update that is for AMD processors,,and she doesn't have an HP computer,,so I just uninstalled the update and poof reboot all done!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.