Before people start hitting me with routine solutions, I've already updated my video drivers to the latest, I've checked all the connections, I've moved the power cord away from the monitor cable, and there aren't any non-FCC items around. Now that thats over with...

My monitor, a 21" IBM P275, is wavey (See attached picture)

The screen is only wavey if the refresh isnt a multiple of 60 (60hz and 120hz show no waveyness). Resolution doesn't matter. For example, if I change my refresh to, say, 62Hz, the screen will wave twice per second. I'm thinking its undervoltage, but I can't be sure. The monitor never did this before at home or at school. It just started when I moved into the dorm. Is there anything I can do about this? Is my monitor dying?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Hi Urok! welcome to daniweb community ..

I think your question is more suited in the monitors,displays and video cards forum .. I am moving it to that forum for your convinience .. there gurus will have an eye on your question.

From www.pcguide.com

The screen image is distorted, with wavy lines or warbling of the displayed image

Explanation: There is a viewable image on the screen, but it is not stable, but rather somewhat distorted, moving slowly, warbling, or has wavy lines moving up or down the screen.

Diagnosis: This kind of problem is usually the result of interference from another device affecting the image. There are two possible sources of interference: first, another device could be emitting electromagnetic radiation that affects the viewed image; second, another device on the same electrical circuit could be creating interference on the power line that affects the monitor. If the image appears totally scrambled and unviewable, this is usually a different problem.

Recommendation:

• Examine the area around the monitor and remove any devices in the proximate area that could be interference sources. Common culprits are fans, motors, transformers and especially other monitors. Putting two monitors next to each other usually will cause each to interfere with the other.
  • Try plugging the monitor into another power circuit to see if this causes the problem to go away. If it does, you may have line noise problems. Try isolating the monitor (and PC) to their own circuit or using a power protection device that includes line filtering or isolates devices.
  • Try changing the physical location of the PC within the room. This will sometimes solve the problem by moving the CRT out of the way of some unknown interference source.
  • There could be a problem with the monitor, and you may need to get it examined by a repair shop.

It is possible that an inadequate or failing power supply is creating the problem, but interference is a much more likely cause.

The refresh rate changes shouldn't be affecting it as they are. Check also any 'force refresh' utilities or driver settings you might have in place, ensure that the display card and motherboard drivers are the latest versions and correctly installed.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.