IanShorrock 0 Newbie Poster

Hi folks
During a re-install of Windows Vista my pc failed to boot up following one of the re-starts. I initially suspected a blown psu but a replacement would not work either. I stripped everything down and re-built the system and now suspect the graphics card. System is a straight forward self build, Asrock Conroe 945G-dvi mobo, Intel Core 2 Duo, 4 gig ram Windows Vista, Gforce 9800GT

After a bit of fiddling the machine will now boot and run fine with the onboard graphics on the motherboard and also with an old pci-express card I have lying around. When I attach the offending card, the Gforce 9800 GT, the machine will not boot or post. Apart from a slight twitch from the cpu fan the machine is dead. although I suspect there is power as attached USB devices light up. If I detach the 6 pin power from the card then switch on the pc it appears to boot. As soon as the power is connected to the card then the pc dies.

Before I rush off and replace the (£100) card does anyone suspect anything else ? I have heard that psu wiring / grounding issues on the 6 pin power plug can sometimes cause booting problems. The psu is new, 650 W, with dedicated 6 pin (brown) plug for the graphics.

Any help appreciated

Ian S