I'd be grateful if anyone could help. I have a 3yr old dell inspiron 8000.
Couple of days ago, internet explorer froze, so switch laptop off by pressing power off button, This usually works, but this time scan diskdidn't work. Ran Dell diagnostics which reported a few ?disk areas were ?corrupt
Now ever time i try to start via harddrive, message appears that "operating system can't load" on a black screen, and nothing happens after that, so have to shut off computer.

Problems is i want to save data from the hard drive ( photos of my baby etc(wife is mad as hell with me), few letters and Excel sheet).
Tried to put hard drive as a slave drive into a desktop, won't recognise it.
Question is is there anyway i can get the hard drive to load even once so i can retrieve the data. Any ideas of eg software, MSDOS commands etc.
Any help appreciated since it will save my marriage!!! :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

techynot,

You have two options. You can attempt to recover the hard drive by fixing windows. You should then boot into windows and save your data. To fix windows, try: http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/wxprcons.htm.

If that seems too hard, you can use a recovery program. I like "GETDATABACK" http://www.runtime.org/. Install your corrupt hard drive as a slave in a working computer. (windows will not be able to recognize the corrupt hard drive, this is normal.) Run the program. A windows explorer "like" interface will appear. DON'T CLOSE THIS WINDOW, or you will have to re-scan. You can then save all of your data.

There are other programs that are also good at recovery, but I have not evaluated them enough to mention them.

J_

J,
sorry forgot to mention that op sys is Windows ME, and the cd for windows wont let me proceed because it says drive is not formatted for Op sys and i need to re format before proceeding.
But i will look at that link you suggested

techynot,

Your only option is to use recovery software. Use the fore mentioned program, or another of your choice.

J_

i've was updating Windows vista on my dell inspiron b130 and in the process of updating Windows vista home premium 32 bit the laptop locked up in the boot manager screen giving me message windows failed to start. A recent hardware or software change might be the cause. To fix the problem:
1. insert your windows installation disc and restart the computer. 2. Choose your language settings, and then click "next." 3. Click "Repair your computer."
If you do not have this disc, contact your system adminstrator or computer manufacturer for assistance.
File: ntoskrnl.exe
Info: Windows failed to load because a required file is missing, or corrupt. I do not have the dell installation disc , windows sent me a full installation disc. But i do not what to do because I cannot get out of this Windows Boot Manager mode. I've tried restarting hitting f8 to the advaced safe mode, but it keeps going back to the Windows boot manager mode. Please help me or tell me where to go to get out of the boot manager screen and get into recovery

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.