Toshiba Tecra 8100. I bought this at an auction. Powers up with "Toshiba" logo. Says to press f4, but my keys just give me a beeping sound. I tried another keyboard, same thing happened. When I power up holding f1, it goes into choosing which part I want to boot up first, well i cannot choose because keyboard just beeps. Any ideas what the problem is? Before I tear into this puter. Thanks ..jules

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Toshiba Tecra 8100. I bought this at an auction. Powers up with "Toshiba" logo. Says to press f4, but my keys just give me a beeping sound. I tried another keyboard, same thing happened. When I power up holding f1, it goes into choosing which part I want to boot up first, well i cannot choose because keyboard just beeps. Any ideas what the problem is? Before I tear into this puter. Thanks ..jules

this sounds like you have a motherboard problem. basically the keyboard and the motherboard are part of an integrated unit. the keyboard is not communicating with the motherboard and vice versa.

When you say you tried another keyboard, what type did you use? Did you connect an external PS2 or USB keyboard or did you replace the laptop keyboard with one from another laptop? If using a keyboard from another laptop, make sure it is the same part number. Just because the cable looks the same and fits in the connector does not mean it is electrically the same. If you tried an external PS2 keyboard, you may want to try a USB keyboard instead (or vice-versa).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.