I cannot figure out what type of motherboard I have. I tried the crucial system scanner, didnt work. It said 'pmg we cannot detect ur motherboard lollerz BUY OUR MEMRY NOWZ' And it also reported that I can hold 4gb of RAM, when my manual says I can only hold 2gb :evil:

Its not in my manual either, which can be found online here:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGCRB30

I tried Belarc's advisor, it told me I had:

Board: Intel Corporation D915GRO [serial # here]

but I tried searching the Intel main site for that board^^ Nothing came up. I dont know what to do now

I have 512 mb already, but I want to get another gig of RAM, but my board is VERY picky about what kind of RAM I use, since I bought a set of 2x512 last time (I have 4 open ram slots), and I thought it was compatible, but surprise surprise, my computer spat it out like sour milk.

I DONT KNOW WHAT RAM I CAN TAKE this is getting very frustrating, and I dont know what else to do. I *THOUGHT* I could take 184 PINN, DDR 400MHZ RAM but no, I cant, and I am at a dead end. :mad:

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I went to the Kingston site and found your model listed in the options. You can see their recommendations here.

It would seem that your system needs a special type of RAM since the specs aren't even listed and there are only two options. I did look up info on the RAM and found that they are PC3200 RAM modules.

Silverion,

As a last pitch effort, I would recommend AIDA32. The actual software creator was employed by Lavalys Consulting Group, Inc., which in turn adopted the AIDA32 software as well. I suggest looking for the original version of AIDA32, just before it was taken by Lavalys. It's easy to find with Google.

J_

Thanks for the replies guys...I will check it out when I get home :)

I cannot figure out what type of motherboard I have. I tried the crucial system scanner, didnt work. It said 'pmg we cannot detect ur motherboard lollerz BUY OUR MEMRY NOWZ' And it also reported that I can hold 4gb of RAM, when my manual says I can only hold 2gb :evil:

Its not in my manual either, which can be found online here:

http://esupport.sony.com/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGCRB30

I tried Belarc's advisor, it told me I had:

Board: Intel Corporation D915GRO [serial # here]

but I tried searching the Intel main site for that board^^ Nothing came up. I dont know what to do now

I have 512 mb already, but I want to get another gig of RAM, but my board is VERY picky about what kind of RAM I use, since I bought a set of 2x512 last time (I have 4 open ram slots), and I thought it was compatible, but surprise surprise, my computer spat it out like sour milk.

I DONT KNOW WHAT RAM I CAN TAKE this is getting very frustrating, and I dont know what else to do. I *THOUGHT* I could take 184 PINN, DDR 400MHZ RAM but no, I cant, and I am at a dead end. :mad:

I myself called Sony because they did have an error listed on part of their website about the RAM. I own a sony VAIO VGC-RB30. So to help you it is listed on the SONY website.
http://esupport.sony.com/US/perl/model-documents.pl?mdl=VGCRB30

When you select that then you go to marketing specifications link it will bring up a page and it will show you under the HARWARE section you'll see MEMORY it says it takes 512MB PC-3200 400MHz DDR. It is Non-ECC as well that comes from knowledge base article C404814. In parathens you notice it says (256MB X 2) that is what they came out with, and it is expandable to 2GB.

You have 4 slots inside the computer for your memory cards, but the most any of them can handle is 512MB. You can find that information by reading in the knowledge base article C357468. It has a diagram showing Slot 1/Socket 1, Slot 1/ Socket 2, Slot 2/ Socket 1, Slot 2/ Socket 2. it has several different ways you can combine the ram chips of 256MB and 512MB, those are the only ones you can use those slots.

THE REASON I am mentioning this is your chips should work I would think because it does take the 184 pin ram, but you must install them both into the Slot 1 Sockets 1 and 2, then move the other 2 cards you must remove in order to expand it to the Slot 2 Sockets 1 and 2 location. That will give you the 1536MB or 1.5 GB you should have available.

Where to get the needed ram well crucial has it 256MB part number CT435410 cost $37.07, or 512MB part number CT435409 cost $70.03. You can also get a 1GB kit (512MB X2) part number CT441084 cost $132.86.

You can also locate them at http://www.memoryx.com/ they have a scanner and it will tell your Computer Version, Motherboard Model, Motherboard Version, etc. Pretty cool. The 256MB part number PCVA-MM256F they carry cost $29.98, and the 512MB part number PCVA-MM512F cost $49.98

I'm getting ready to expand my ram and have been researching this for a few months now. You can locate RAM Memory sometimes on eBay, then you have ZipZoomFly, TigerDirect, Directron, and lots of places to purchase from.

Hopefully this helped

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.