Hey guys,

How long is a file, such as a jpeg, in memory, after the file is closed?

Let's say I open a jpeg file in Windows preview, or Previewer on Mac OS X, then I close the previewer program. How long is that jpeg in RAM? How can I find out, maybe run tests?

I am interested in volatile memory and extraction, especially when files or a whole hard drive is encrypted.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Hey guys,

How long is a file, such as a jpeg, in memory, after the file is closed?

until windows is restarted or until windows kicks it out because its using the memory for something else ,so it would depend on how much ram you have and how much you do with windows after you opened the file

Can you show me a program that views RAM in its current state on a computer, so I can find things like pictures that have been previously viewed, for example?

Can you show me a program that views RAM in its current state on a computer, so I can find things like pictures that have been previously viewed, for example?

nope ,don't know of such program, sorry ,remember that memory is cleared every time the computer is rebooted .
are if you are trying to see what others are viewing on the computer .
are the picture you are concerned with viewed on the internet ,if so and IE browser is used ,go to ie tools and check history,or check temporary internet folder.
location of temp inter folder .
http://www.milincorporated.com/a-temporary-internet-files.html#ch2

No it's more just an experiment I want to do. I want to learn about memory more and how it is volatile. You know memory is not completely wiped when you turn the computer off or reboot, right? It fades away slowly (within a few minutes).

What's very interesting is this Princeton study on memory, and how they showed you can preserve RAM that is in the process of fading away by freezing it.
http://citp.princeton.edu/memory/

oh

try task manager then see the memory usage...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.