Usualy when I plug-in my computer's power supply cord into a wall socket it automaticaly starts working (I don't know why...), but few days ago when I plugged it in it didn't start (I guessed, maybe it got better, but...), I couldn't start it by pressing power button neither.

I unplugged the power supply cord, and plugged it in back again - now it started all at once, but it reported that BIOS was reseted. I made some of the settings, after that computer rebooted, and Windows (98SE) loaded.

Now everything's OK, except sound - it's choppy!

I guess it has to do with sound card in relation with BIOS settings (I tried some things but - no results), so I ask here for help.

What should I do to correct this?

(My sound card is in ISA slot, Line-in input is OK, but when any program uses WAV, that WAV sounds choppy, and may result in computer to stop responding if I don't stop it)

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

SAZAR,

Update your sound card drivers. Do not use Windows Update to do this. Please visit the sound card manufacture’s website for the correct driver.

J_

SAZAR,

Update your sound card drivers. Do not use Windows Update to do this. Please visit the sound card manufacture’s website for the correct driver.

J_

When I was on the net last time (when I started this thread) I downloaded drivers for it...

I don't know how, but today it showed device conflicts in device manager (unlike before), so I changed the reported IRQ in BIOS to ISA Legacy setting. Now it works fine. Thanks for help.

As for your "powers on when plugging in", this could be caused by a BIOS setting. There is a setting in many newer BIOSes that tell the computer what to do after a power outage. There are usually three settings:
- Stay off
- Power on
- Last state

If your's is set to "Power on", then your computer will boot each time you plug it in. I have my machine set to "Last state". This setting turns my computer back on if it was on or leaves it off if the machine was off.

It sounds like your power supply may have had its internal breaker tripped when you plugged it in and it didn't start up. When the internet breaker gets tripped, you usually have to unplug it for a few seconds/minutes and plug it in again in order to be able to start the machine.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.