I had a doubt as how does adding more number of transistors in a M.P.increases its speed??
I know that the use of transistor in a MP is switching of current. The how does that helps to increase the speed pf MP. PLEASE HELP
THANK YOU

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

@caperjack,
my friend actually all of my threads which you've commented upon, have been posted by me after thoroughly reading the google stuff and one more thing i am a regular user of howstuffswork(dot)com . I just wanted some extra knowledge about the concepts, i thought some intelligent people out there might provide me with some more info.
I AM HUNGRY FOR SOME REAL KNOWLEDGE AS KNOWLEDGE IS THE ONLY FOOD GOOD FOR MY BRAIN, NO CASHEWS, NO NUTRIENTS. LOL .
JUST NEED YOUR AND OTHER PEOPLE'S HELP, MY FRIEND.........

@caperjack,
i thought some intelligent people out there might provide me with some more info.
I AM HUNGRY FOR SOME REAL KNOWLEDGE AS KNOWLEDGE IS THE ONLY FOOD GOOD FOR MY BRAIN, NO CASHEWS, NO NUTRIENTS. LOL .
JUST NEED YOUR AND OTHER PEOPLE'S HELP, MY FRIEND.........

i can appropriate that ,but i think most of the help offered here is very general in knowledge ,and for the most part in laymen terms .,mine anyway

might i suggest the community center and maybe the geeks lounge .good luck
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum3.html

Hello dear.

Original microprocessors were really very simple; instructions were fetched sequentially, decoded and executed. We could build processors with roughly below a 100,000 transistors in those days because their logic was relatively simple(i think the intel 8080 had much less than 50,000 transistors, google that to know more). Remember that the basic logical devices inside microprocessors are logic gates, and these gates are constructed from hundreds of trasistors. So the more complex the logic of a microprocessor, the larger the gate count, and the larger the transistor count.
Now you might ask what makes the logic of modern processors more complex.

Since some decades, tremendous research and effort have yielded effective techniques on how the throghput of a processor can be optimized. These include overlapping the executing of instructions using several functional units in the data path. Pipelining and superscalar designs are what might be interesting to read on.

Of course, these new technologies require more logic gates to be implemented, as it is more easy to just say 'pipeline the instractions' that actually implementing that in hardware. The very presence itself of several functional units is an obvious answer to why transistor count has increased.

So to sum up, to make faster processors we need to implement complex techniques in hardware, that effectively boils down to using lots of transistors.

Hope that clears it a bir for you.
bye.

commented: that was really helpful +2

@absolute zero,
that helped a lot. thanx

It is the brain of the computer. The microprocessor contains all, or most of, the central processing unit functions. Many companies make it and it is very useful for computer. Without it PC can't work.

A great advantage of consoles is the standard material and does not constantly update the drivers (although the frequent firmware updates in the form of evil of it).

I do not see how a new processor will handle everything. It might be better in graphics than previous integrated graphics were, but a decent dedicated video card is still going to smash all over him. As always relied on a serious game.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.