when i turn my computer on the power button flashes red and turns itself off please help my daughter needs computer for school work i asked pc world on phone they said sounds like motherboard and expensive job i cant afford to pay alot

Recommended Answers

All 26 Replies

What computer is it?
We can only work with the information you give us!

I agree that it sounds like the motherboard can't pass the self test.

But it might not necessarily be expensive to fix.
At my work we have some sales personel, occasionally breaking an USB-connector on the motherboard, which will often result in a short circuit from the pins to ground - which will result in a "dead" machine, just like yours.

If you can cut the pins as low as possible in the usb connector - and make sure that none of them is touching each other or the grounded metal "wall" - you might be lucky that it didn't burn anything else.

Check the USB connectors and see if one of them is broken and shorted out.
If it is, and you manage to remove the short - it might just start up again.

good luck :)

when i turn my computer on the power button flashes red and turns itself off please help my daughter needs computer for school work i asked pc world on phone they said sounds like motherboard and expensive job i cant afford to pay alot

No idea what computer you have, desktop or laptop PC?

Try reset the computer by doing the following:

Unplug the power cord to the desktop PC (and remove the battery as well if the PC is a laptop) and pressing the power button over 20 seconds do not let go.

This will discharge and reset the computer.

Hope this helps!
Bill
Tech Manager

thankyo i will def give this a try its my daughters computer its a desktop just wouldnt turn on one day trys to start up power button red not blue ande goes off i will try this 2mo and let u know thanku much appreciated

thank u guys u av given me sum great advice and will deffo put into action 2mo

Does it the screen say monitor going to sleep? If yes this problem is common. Go and check whether your CPU is running or not. You can do these by hearing the sound

If has to do with the motherboard as well. Yours might be falty and need a change it won't cause you a lot. If you have ever repair a PC open the cover of the PC. Take a screw driver and tighten all the screws inside. Sometimes it is not tighten properly and you cant turn on your computer/

Hope it helps

I have posted the following before in this thread!

What computer is it?
We can only work with the information you give us!

why do you mean by your above post Rik?

What I mean is I asked what computer it is and my post was completely and utterly ignored. Knowing what PC is is makes a huge difference as some have diagnostic led's on them and some have common faults!

Yup i agreed. The poster does not give us adequate information. So we have a hard time finding the right solution. Hope he can update his post by tomorrow we need more information

hi rik sorry didnt mean to blank you thought you were asking if it was a desktop or laptop and it is a desktop right here we go its a desktop packard bell with windows vista. hope said that she was instructed to do an update that took several hours when she ent back to it it had turned off she turned it on but it wouldnt turn on the power light that used to be blue wen turning on is now red and only starts up for three seconds and turns off it wheerrs the dies sorry i hope this is better information thanks jo.

Packard Bell eh! Well, if it starts up then shuts off like that then you have a hardware fault. Knowing the cheapo components that Packard Bell use, I would suspect the PSU (Power Supply Unit).
I bet it's a Bestec 250watt PSU whic is without a doubt the poorest quality PSU ever made. I have a Packard Bell in my workshop right now with the exact same symptoms and replacing the PSU with a decent quality 450watt PSU cured it.

Unfortunately it could be many different problems. Do you notice a sequence of short and/or long beeps on startup? Motherboards communicate different problems by sounding different beep sequences. Check Packard Bell for their beep codes.

Another common problem is RAM memory chips. Since they are very sensitive to static electricity (SE), there are precautions you should take when handling RAM. Preferably you would use a static discharge strap when handling RAM. At a minimum, be sure to discharge SE by touching the grounded computer case or power supply before touching the RAM.

The 2 most common problems are poor connections or damaged RAM. Sometimes you need only re-seat the RAM chips, making sure that they are securely installed (take out and put back in). Occasionally, using an eraser on the "gold" electrical connectors on the RAM card removes body oil or other contaminates and thus improve the connection. If there are 2 RAM cards, sometimes swapping their positions will indicate which card is bad. If you have only one RAM card, replacing it (temporarily?) is cheaper than a new motherboard.

We could explore more problems if you supply more information about the computer's behavior - sights, sounds, et cetera.

sorry not been in touch have not had access to internet. i am not very good with computors im afraid even though i am trying to give you the correct information and my daughter is missing out on her coursework. its a packard bell desktop not old was working fine was doing an update went off and now will only turn on for 3 seconds and the power light comes on as red when it used to be blue it whurrs (fans i think) the just turns off. i was given some very helpful advice with regards to the power supply unit i took the side off and thats how far i got how do i take it off and how do i get another one if thats what is causing the problem please dont let it be the motherboard thankyou for your help and thankyou for bearing with me jox

Possible causes

1) Motherboard faulty
2) battery
3) Virus related
4) Hard disk corrupted or crash

But for point 4, usually the laptop does not start up so i doubt it will be a hard disk failure. Might be a motherboard problem. Try this. There are other good links to, you have to wait for other experts to help you. Good luck

i think that the power supply unit is
fsp group inc
cb
model no fsp250-60hen

and i think my packard bell is
model no utow-d10
dv100
p/n pb80128501
model name imedia x2414

i really do hope this helps you guys please ask e for more info if you need it but you may have to help me retrieve it.
so overall packard bell tower light comes on red at the power button (no longer blue) fans start to whurr and then nothing it just stops dead
thanks jox

thanks for the link I have printed it and will try to follow it tomorrow fingers crossed. as for the psu (power supply unit) i do think it is as rik said a 250 watts one so should i look on the internet for a 450 watts one as i really am hoping thats the problem. pc world and currys said it would be £50 just to look at it and they think it is motherboard and will be mega bucks to replace you guys have helped me so much more thankyou jox

had a look at it when i turn it on the only noise is the start up whurr of the fan and the power light coming on red for bout 2-3 seconds then nothing have tried turning it on with rest of desktop and turning it on just the tower always the same start up whurr light then off thanks jox

I'm really surprised to hear that PSU's of such low wattage are even built still. Upgrade it for sure even if thats not the root of your problem, which it probably is.

Hi again jox

I can't say for sure that a new power supply will solve your problem (without having a tech inspecting it), but I think it is highly likely that it will.

Here is a link to a good quality PSU unit, that I recommend you to buy
http://www.scan.co.uk/products/430w-corsair-cmpsu-430cx-builder-series-80-eff-120mm-fan-single-12v-rail-atx-psu

Since I am not a UK resident, it might not be the best offer available, so if you know of a better(cheaper) place to shop, just look for the same brand and model. :)

firsty You cheak how many beeps sounding after press on button
if its continuesly beeping than change your ram or change ram slot.
than if its beep one than your mother board is short circuited. go to call hardware engg.
u knew that a mother beard has 3 years warranty

There is no beep sequence, poster have already said so.

Hi, i have the same problem with the same computer... Maybe you have resolved?

Thanks

Christian

Hi, i have the same problem with the same computer... Maybe you have resolved?

Thanks

Christian

create own thread please...

Its not PSU, cause gues what, I have the same issue and it also happens to be Packard bell with Vista lol, only 1 year old at the time of the failure. The PSU works just fine cause Im using it in my other desktop right now, i ve tried diffrent PSU on that PB desktop but no luck, fans spin for 3 seconds then dies, no beeps and also see red light on the power button. I think I had blue screen of death before that happened but I didnt keep note of it cause i was sleepy so just turned off the damn thing. I asked my internet friend who repairs PC what could it be and he imidiately wrote back that motherboard probably died. If thats the case then it rly sux, my 6 yo weaker PC runs just fine and never had problem with it, but this 1 year and dead mobo >.< what a crap. Let me know pls if you know another solution to this.

What I did: swapped PSU, cleaned off old thermal paste from the cpu and put new one on and made sure to close it tight, reseted CMOS, checked for bad capacitors(they look fine), cleaned the dust, tried to find faulty hardware by unplugging, tried holding power button for more than 10 seconds, reseated ram.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.