I wanted to know what is the reason that different versions of USB have different speed though they more or less follow the same protocol(by protocol i mean that they have effectively same overhead). For example in the case of full speed and high speed USB max data that can be transmitted in a frame are 1023 and 1024 respectively but they have a considerable difference in their speed(which are 12 Mbps and 480 mbps respectively). Can you also please tell me the reason for the dramatic increase in speed of super speed USB.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

It is all down to chip speed development really. The earlier USB 1 ran at the speed that the chips could handle, same with USB 2 and USB 3.

i know that speed handling capacity of chips has increased but i want t know the exact process. I mean that in full speed USB and high speed USB max length of data packets are 1023 and 1024 bytes and a frame is sent every 1 ms. So how come they have such a dramatic variation in speed?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.