my laptop hardrive is now an external component that connects with a USB port,. i installed the laptop harddrive externally onto my desktop. (i just plug the usb into the front of the desktop..) now i can access my files from the old harddrive through my desktop through windows explorer or however.

PROBLEM: the folder im trying to acces in was hidden, and/or possibly password protected. it wont let me open the folder it says access denied or something along those lines, but it doesnt give me the option to type in the password. i tried to boot windows from the usb harddrive and its not working. ive tried a million ways,. weird thing is when i search the external drive for .jpg files, i can see thumbnails of all of my pics, but cant get to them.... anyone know how to access this hidden/PW protected folder?? these are my ONLY copies of some of my favorate pics.. Please Help. please..

brian

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Turn off simple file sharing under Tools->Folder Options->View (this may be WinXP Pro only).

Right click the folder in question->Sharing & Security->Security Tab->Add. Type in either your username (with admin access) or "Administrator" and click the "Check Names" button. It should complete the proper user for you. OK out, then give the new addition full access rights.

If there are numerous sub-folders you will need to go into the advanced section and look into the "Permissions" and "Owner" tabs (e.g. Replace owner on subcontainers and objects checkbox for the Owner tab).

there is no security tab under the sharing and security menu.
??

brian

Turn off simple file sharing under Tools->Folder Options->View (this may be WinXP Pro only).

Right click the folder in question->Sharing & Security->Security Tab->Add. Type in either your username (with admin access) or "Administrator" and click the "Check Names" button. It should complete the proper user for you. OK out, then give the new addition full access rights.

If there are numerous sub-folders you will need to go into the advanced section and look into the "Permissions" and "Owner" tabs (e.g. Replace owner on subcontainers and objects checkbox for the Owner tab).

Follow Coconut Monkey's instructions. You have to disable Simple File Sharing first.

it all good now, i just brought the external over to my friends house. he has a mac, ., i just plugged that shit in and navigated to the hidden folder, ., it was not hidden on the mac. he burned the files to a cd, and its all good. a trick to remmeber.

Heh... You found the easy way. Another way to do it is to hook it up to a Linux machine or to boot your system up using a Live CD bootable distro of Linux. I love how the super-secure Windows file system only "secures" your files if you are trying to read the file system on a Windows machine. Even then, you can break the security in minutes if you know what you are doing.

I'm glad you got it sorted.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.