HI,
I found that my computer run slow,sometimes hang when i open many program.the screen looks slowly.
someone suggest me to upgrade my memory.currently my memory is 128MB.I found that DELL 4500S use PC2100 DDR.
if i want to upgrade it,am i need to buy the same PC2100.can i use other than PC2100?for example PC2700?i need a 256MB memory.

what is the different,if i buy it directly from DELL or the hardware shop?
is the manufacturer same?

Can i just insert my new memory card into another the slot n never take out the old one?

anyone can help me?
thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

HI,
I found that my computer run slow,sometimes hang when i open many program.the screen looks slowly.
someone suggest me to upgrade my memory.currently my memory is 128MB.I found that DELL 4500S use PC2100 DDR.
if i want to upgrade it,am i need to buy the same PC2100.can i use other than PC2100?for example PC2700?i need a 256MB memory.

Can i just insert my new memory card into another the slot n never take out the old one?

anyone can help me?
thanks!

If you have an open slot then just add additional memory.

Don't go through Dell.. they will overcharge you.

Go to like cruical.com or something and buy what you need.

You can match up the ram type by looking at the part number.

Then Google it and find out its "128MB SDRAM 133Mhz" <-- just an example

Then go to cruical and plug in the specs for say 512MB SDRAM 133Mhz

The motherboard will hold two RAM modules with a capacity of up to 1GB in each.

Not knowing where you live, I can only suggest what I would do, I would either go to Newegg, or Tiger Direct and make my purchase on line. Here are two links for Newegg, one is for 256MB modules, and the other is for 512MB modules.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=523%3A7856&PropertyCodeValue=524%3A7861&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=147&Submit=Property

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.asp?Manufactory=&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=523%3A7856&PropertyCodeValue=524%3A7861&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&PropertyCodeValue=0&description=&MinPrice=&MaxPrice=&SubCategory=147&Submit=Property

The installation process is pretty straight forward, the hardest part for you will most likely be opening the case. I will provide you with a link which has detailed instructions for the installation. One of the things you need to know is to make sure you are grounded before you handle the module, as static electricity can damage the module. You can accomplish this quite simply by touching the metal portion of the computer case.

This link will take you to the Dell web site, at the top of the page is a menu, read about opening the case, and adding memory.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4500S/replace.htm#1101572

HI,

anyone can help me?
thanks!

Upgrade the memory with more capacity like now u have 128MB go for 256 or 512 but dont go for 128.

Bcoz incase ur old ram's speed doenst match with the newer one u could still have more memory

if the RAM's speed doesnt match, then u will see a blue screen with a message dumping physical memory

if the RAM's speed doesnt match, then u will see a blue screen with a message dumping physical memory

Bit misleading there jaishankar. You can mix modules of different speeds - the higher rated stuff will just run at the speed of the slowest module. See here for more information.

Bit misleading there jaishankar. You can mix modules of different speeds - the higher rated stuff will just run at the speed of the slowest module. See here for more information.

Iam not misleading anybody, it just didnt work for me i used Pc-133 with Pc-100 SD Ram But it didnt work.

With older boards that use PC100, some boards are kind of picky about which RAM they will work with. I have a MSI K7-Pro motherboard which supports PC100, and I'm running three modules of PC133, these are low density modules, but the high density modules like the Kingston's KVR133X64C2/256 were not compatible. What I would suggest is that if you find modules you are interested in using, go to the manufacturer and ask them if it will be compatible.

Iam not misleading anybody, it just didnt work for me i used Pc-133 with Pc-100 SD Ram But it didnt work.

I'm not saying you deliberately are jaishanker. It's just that your comment was stating all modules of different speeds will not work together, regardless of type, which was a bit misleading, especially since you came to that conclusion based on a single past issue with SD-RAM (but thanks for clearing that up).

I have a P-4 system with 128MB(PC2100-133MHz) Hundai RAM, i bought a 256MB(PC2100-133MHz) Hundai RAM but it didnt workout.

Whenever i started the system a blue screen appeared "dumping physical memory"

I tried with individual RAM's and they were working fine

Again i made trial with one of my friends RAM with same speed and it did work how could this be possible

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.