hi,
i m having a problem with my computer. I m using windows 7 professional with sp1 (64-bit).
here is my pc configuration:

intel core-i5 (2.8 GHz) (LGA 1155)
Gigabyte H67-D2H
2GB RAM
1TB HDD
No ext. Graphics Card.

my problem is very weird. Every time i install a new game My computer slows down very much, hangs continuously and after some time it can't boot up properly. It doesn't happen when i have few games like- fifa 11, pes 11. but when i tried to play Singularity or Resident Evil 5 the same thing happens. I think it has something to do with either RAM or HDD.
please advise.

PS. in my hdd very little amount of space is left, free space in each drive is like 10-12%.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

Your lack of HDD space isn't the problem. You said you're using onboard graphics, that may well be your problem as some of the games, like the ones you've mentioned, require that extra boost in order to execute. Sport games like Fifa and PES would don't necessarily need that boost

Your lack of HDD space isn't the problem. You said you're using onboard graphics, that may well be your problem as some of the games, like the ones you've mentioned, require that extra boost in order to execute. Sport games like Fifa and PES would don't necessarily need that boost

hmmm....maybe so it isn't RAM??....

thanks

Nope. Not RAM. You likely need a graphics card

Nope. Not RAM. You likely need a graphics card

thanks for the solution.

But can u help me in choosing a graphics card?
u saw my pc config. what do u think i should buy? i heard ati radeon 5670 is good.

please advise.

very little HDD space will cause the system slow performance and some issue in booting as well.

Besides dedicated video card, try get more space avaailble on the HDD.
Some game need more HDD space for temp folder storage when the game starts.
So some game may cause slower system performance, some won't when the HDD spce is very low.

Hope this helps!
Bill

Well I can't quite advise you to any specific graphics card without knowing the power of your PSU

im surprised win7 64 bit installed on a computer with only 2gig of ram ,i suggest at least 3gig and even better 4gig ,

you have a 1tb harddrive ,how do you have it partitioned ,how many ,how big is each partition ,maybe you could shrink one partition and then expand the one running windows

very little HDD space will cause the system slow performance and some issue in booting as well.

Besides dedicated video card, try get more space avaailble on the HDD.
So some game may cause slower system performance, some won't when the HDD spce is very low.

Hope this helps!
Bill

thanks for the reply.
i understand that some game takes more temp memory than others. But i have more than 50GB free in C(windows) where the games is installed and as far as i know temp files are stored in C, right?
i know it'll be better to have more space in HDD and dedicated VGA card, but at the moment i am not able to upgrade my pc.

im surprised win7 64 bit installed on a computer with only 2gig of ram ,i suggest at least 3gig and even better 4gig ,

you have a 1tb harddrive ,how do you have it partitioned ,how many ,how big is each partition ,maybe you could shrink one partition and then expand the one running windows

yeah i know...i have plans to upgrade new RAM.
i have partitioned my hdd in 6 drives. 4 of them are 100GB, one is 500GB(ALL my Movies) and one is 30GB. I have my windows in a 100GB Drive.

So your computer is not having problem with booting up prior to the thread title? What is your current graphics card?

New information about the problem:
After i re-installed my windows last time i didn't install any high graphics game like RE5. but after using the windows for a few days i m having the same problem. It hangs after a 10-20 mins.

when i install a new software it affects the RAM, am i right?

And i think i am having this problem cause of low RAM.

I want to be sure about what is creating the problem cause i don't want to upgrade anything without being sure.

Find a spare ram stick that try it out to test whether your theory is right.

I highly doubt that a lack of ram is the case. As far as i know, windows gives an "out-of-ram" error messsage when it's... well, out of ram.

There's a lot of possible reasons why your computer crashes on high-load games (like RE): bad cooling, bad power supply, bad drivers, bugs in the game code, maybe faulty ram or conflicting software.

you can use speedfan to check your cpu, gpu temprature etc. don't be suprised if it's over 80 degrees celcius, thats normal.
as for the drivers: see if you can get a new version of intels graphic media accelerator (or something in that fashion) new drivers can solve a LOT of problems, and increase your performance in some cases

same goes for updating your game, see if there are any patches for your games out there. It's not necessary to patch if you bought your games via Steam, which does it automagically.

for faulty ram i'd reccomand using something like memtest. It works rather unusual however, so check a manual or FAQ or so first. (hint: README :)

If that doesn't help, you can check the windows logs and see what errors windows report. to do this, go to your control panel, type "log" in your search bar, and select "view event logs" under Administrative tools.

expand the subtab "windows logs". the logs called application and system wil be most interesting. note the time at which the error occured: if it happend when you crashed... gotcha.

Sorry if i sound like you're simple or so, it's just really hard to guess someones computer-capabilties, so i had to take it safe :)
Let us know what you find

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.