yesterday, my RAM crashed. that was of 1 GB and now i wana purchase new one. I am thinking to buy 2 GB RAM.

specifications for PC :

model- HP pavellion model
RAM: 1 GB(initially)
Processor: intel core 2DUO
Hard disk: around 600 GB
operating systems: Window 7 ultimate + Ubuntu (dual boot PC)

So, tell me now that if i use 2 GB RAM instaed of 1 GB , then will my PC speed get effected ? With speed, I mean prcoessing speed or say, overall speed of PC (processing or whatever). My main question is that is it worthful to pay for 2 GB for this type of configeration ?

P.s i was not happy with my PC when i was using 1 GB ram. So please respond as i need to buy one ASAP. ;) thanks

Recommended Answers

All 20 Replies

You've been using Windows 7 with only 1GB of ram? Yes, you'll see a marked improvement by adding another gig.

is there any problem if i am using window 7 with 1 GB ram ? i have checked windows 7 requirements as told by microsoft. they said minimum 1 GB. means what exaclty problem with this ?

is there any problem if i am using window 7 with 1 GB ram ?

That's the minimum requirement for Windows to function with "acceptable" performance. If you want to open any other programs and have them function with any kind of acceptable performance, you need more ram.

ohh! that's mean 1 Gb is the requirement just for the windows functioning ?So system need more ram for other functions? Really ? i never know that. SO according to you, what should be the RAM for any PC if he is using window 7 and want best performace. thanks

SO according to you, what should be the RAM for any PC if he is using window 7 and want best performace.

I won't build a Windows 7 machine with less than 4GB.

Check this. And of course the more RAM you add more faster it performs.

@deceptikon I have just read OS sunject in my last semester. I have read that RAM takes the processes and processor executed them while having them in RAM. So isn't RAM is responsible for increasing the number of processes at a time rather than increaing the speed as your said ?

secondly, my PC supports only 2 PC RAM at a time. So what to do now ?

So isn't RAM is responsible for increasing the number of processes at a time rather than increaing the speed as your said ?

The more ram you have, the faster your machine is because less time is spent swapping pages between the hard drive and available memory.

secondly, my PC supports only 2 PC RAM at a time. So what to do now ?

If by 2 PC RAM you mean your system board has two slots, you're golden unless the only chips you can find are 512MB or less.

no, by that i mean there are 2 slots in my PC . but they support 2 GB RAM only.

Seocndly, So you build PCs also ? really ? with software , hardware also ?

no, by that i mean there are 2 slots in my PC . but they support 2 GB RAM only.

Each, or combined? If it's each then your maximum is 4GB, otherwise you can still upgrade to 2GB without any problem.

So you build PCs also ?

I built my work machine from scratch and my home machine has been frankensteined to the point where you can call it a scratch build.

wow! but why don't you buy a system rather than building it own your own ?

secondly, what exactly do you mean from scratch ? ;-)

but why don't you buy a system rather than building it own your own ?

Because pre-built systems are never perfectly tailored to my needs, and often use cheap parts.

secondly, what exactly do you mean from scratch ? ;-)

From nothing.

I have encountered MANY computer systems that said the RAM was only capable of supporting 1GB in each slot. However, I have put 2GB in each slot several times and it works perfectly well. I also would not put together any computer with less that 4GB of RAM.

You don't say what model Pavilion, but since it has a Core 2 Duo processor, it would really surprise me if it didn't support 2GB per slot. You will notice a definite increase in performace by adding that memory up to 4GB total. Above that the performance increase is not nearly as noticeable (if there is any at all).

Greg

hats off man! God bless you. keep it up.

@gerg have you heard of overcloaking ? when you put ram above a capacity of system, then it is bad for processor, may be it is working but i think you will have problem in future with your processor performance. isn't it ? correct me if i am wrong

@deceptikon i have called hp service centre and they said you can put only 1 GB ram in one slot and they saying if you put above 1 GB then system will use only 1 GB , rest is wasted. but i am thiking he is wrong. please correct him or me. thanks

yippeeeeeeee..... working with 3 GB ram now... it's too fast now ;) thanks deceptikon for your great help .... not even single problem in purchasing, anything .. thanks alot ;)

HP said that because more than likely you were talking to a tech who had his/her "script" in front of them and that is the answer they are required to give. I have never heard of putting too much ram causing problems with the processor. If you meant "overclocking" then that is when you go into the system BIOS and tell the processor to operate faster than it was designed for. Depending on your processor, you can SOMETIMES get away with this, but typically that would be a custom built system and not some off the shelf HP (or any other brand).
Glad you are flying fast with 3GB now, the HP guy was SLIGHTLY correct as older versions of Windows (32bit in particular) don't properly know how to work with memory above the 3GB limit. But I've found on a lot of pre-built systems such as the HP's that putting in 4GB is still helpful due to some of that memory being utilized by the video processor so it is taken and leaves more of the base 3GB for the operating system to use.

Greg

i took your advice and purchased a 2 GB and 1 G Ram put it in 2 slots --> total 3 GB. and it is working damn good! you have helped a lot in the first 2 posts of yours on daniweb. :-)

Yes you can upgrade the computer by 2 gb ram. And if you insert the 2gb ram instead of the 1 gb ram then the system performance get huge boost. And also your windows 7 ultimate run more fluently. But before buying any ram just check the motherboard specification if the system support ddr2 then you need to buy ddr2 ram and if it is support ddr3 then go for the ddr3 ram. And after installation of the ram speed will be increased significantly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.