If I'm about to order a laptop without HDD/SSD. I could've added one into the list of purchases, but for this laptop, they offer only 128GB and 256GB. Which will not suffice for me :(. There's many drives I've seen around which are 480GB, 512GB and even 1000GB (not exactly 1024GB). If there's working slot of SSD, and I buy my own SSD (512GB for example), can I just put it inside, and expect it to work?

Is it somehow possible my SSD will be denied? Or it's impossible?

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

The usual answer is "it depends". Laptops typically use a 2.5" HDD sata drive format. You can install a large (up to 1TB at least) HDD or SSD in place of the SSD that is provided, but you will have to re-install the OS, which if Windows means that you will need to purchase the system with full Windows installation media as well (probably adds something to the cost).

That said, some vendors require that the on-disc controller have a code that is proprietary to them, which means that you would have to purchase a different drive from them, at grossly inflated prices, instead of one from "CheapComputerGear.com".

Laptops typically use a 2.5" HDD sata drive format.

It must be.

You can install a large (up to 1TB at least)

How about 7TB?

but you will have to re-install the OS, which if Windows means that you will need to purchase the system with full Windows installation media as well (probably adds something to the cost).

But I mentioned that there's no HDD or SSD, therefore no installation.

If I'm about to order a laptop without HDD/SSD

instead of one from "CheapComputerGear.com".

I prefer "alternate.com".

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.