A PC reboots randomly and event viewer says due to bugcheck. What is this?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

There is something causing your computer to randomly reboot - probably hardware, but maybe software. Have you added any hardware lately or recently installed software? There is usually a hex value associated with the bugcheck error message like 0x0000007F or something. Does it list this in the event viewer? If you find it, you could search Google or the Microsoft KB for this hex value. Your operating system version would be helpful info as well.

There is something causing your computer to randomly reboot - probably hardware, but maybe software. Have you added any hardware lately or recently installed software? There is usually a hex value associated with the bugcheck error message like 0x0000007F or something. Does it list this in the event viewer? If you find it, you could search Google or the Microsoft KB for this hex value. Your operating system version would be helpful info as well.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't think anything was recently put in, though the user does like to install software randomly. We checked the hex value and it mentioned the mobo or memory. We tried swaping the mem from another machine and it still happens. The pc is running w2k

If this were me, I would try to narrow down the problem. If you're comfortable working on the inside of the machine, I would try to disconnect any add-on hardware and run memtest (http://www.memtest.org/).
1. Disconnect everything except: processor, memory, vid card, power supply, and floppy or cdrom depending on the media from which you intend to run memtest
2. boot to either the memtest floppy or cd. This will exercise your mobo, memory, and processor. If memtest shows errors, and of these three is the potential culprit. If memtest doesn't return any problems, i would look toward another piece of add-on hardware or the software itself. after you verify the basics are ok with memtest, you can try to isolate any other hardware by connecting each device (internal or external) one at a time and running the system for a while.

Alrighty, i'll try to get around to do that. Lot of things going on here, but I'll be sure to let you konw how it goes if i do. Thanks!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.