Hi all,

OK,
I'm using Acer Aspire 1705SMi laptop that is supposed to be able to take up to 2gb of ddr333 sdram 184 pin dimm. The is a DIMM based model with a sis650 chipset. it also takes 3.5 ide hard drives.

I've tried about 4 brands of ram to upgrade to 2gb(1gb stick per slot, it has 2 memory slots) and non will work, i just get a blank screen. the computer attempts to power up but can't manage it. Strangely. enough it will accept 2X 512meg sticks at ddr 333 with no problems.
I've tried crucial and their memory adviser, the ram didn't work and i've also flashed the bios up to the latest version. I'm sure i'm installing it properly.
Has anyone else has this problem or does anyone have any ideas on how to sort it out. Here's hoping

cheers for any help guys

ps I've tried talkingto acer their response was DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!
:rolleyes:

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Try kingston memory. Plum your laptop in and it will tell you what your machine can handle. It says the maximum for your model is 1GB.:sad:

I have similar problem with an about 4.5 year old ACER Aspire E300 PC that is supposed to be able to take up to 2gb of ram. The system showed that I had 1 GB, so a bought an additional DDR-400 RAM bar, but the system is still showing only 1 GB RAM. I inverted the bar, but it did not help.

The Everest software is, however, seeing two bars. In slot 1 the new one (Kingston 1024 MB) and in slot 2 the old one, which it calls Nanya NT512D64S8HCOG-ST with 512 MB. If these data are correct the system should show 1.5 GB, but it still shows only 1 GB.
Has anyone else has this problem or does anyone have any ideas on how to sort it out? I have not yet contacted ACER.
Cheers also from me for any help guys

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.