My computer has been up and running for about 5 months. I have a cdrw, dvd player and the standard 3 1/2 floppy. About a month ago, the computer stopped reading the cdrw and dvd drives. I wasted money taking it to a computer shop. He said both drives were bad. I got the machine running again but it will not recognize both drives. I have to disconnect one and use it by itself. And now it does not recognize the 3 1/2 floppy. I have checked the pin settings over and over and tried the cable select as well as the master/slave settings. It worked fine after I originally set the computer up for about 3 months. Is there something I'm missing?

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Are the drives listed in Device Manager, and if so, are they reported to be working properly?

Neither is listed as being recognized by computer when both are installed. When one is installed it does see that one. Even with neither installed the A: drive is not recognized

Let's go a level deeper- are any/all of the devices correctly detected in the BIOS's setup?
Reboot your computer, get into the BIOS setup utility, and have look around in there. Let us know what info/settings you find regarding your IDE devices and the floppy.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.