listylez 0 Newbie Poster

I dont understand this problem at all and was hoping somebody could help me.

Usually when I turn on the computer for the first time in the morning the computer will power on for a few seconds, you can then hear the harddrive making noises like its trying to do something..but cant? then the computer will automatically power itself off.

The only way i can power the computer on is if i repeat the following procedure until it works:

• Power on the computer
  • Hold the reset button half pressed until I can hear the harddrive start to work (for some reason holding it half pressed changes the sound of the harddrive failing to a more 'promising' sound? holding it all the way down completely resets the computer and does nothing. weird?)
  • Then I hear the 'beep' sound which tells me the computer will boot.

However, this may take up to 10 times of doing this especially when the room temperature is cold. Strangely, I've found I only need to do this like once if its a hot day.. Once the computer is booted it works fine. And also boots up fine as long as I turn it on within an hour or so of the last successful boot.

Also, I did recently start getting an issue where i get a CHECKSUM ERROR on boot and then my time settings are stuffed up..

Lastly, I haven't changed any hardware at all and this has been happening for a very long time. I always eventually manage to power the computer up doing the above steps, but its extremely annoying.

Thanks guys, any help would be appreciated.