Hi All

I just acquired at Dell Dimension 8200 XP (2.0 Ghz, 256 RAM) from a friend who said it was broken. Turned it on noticed a clunking from his hard drive and the machine not booting up at all. Figured his drive was dead and I purchased a new one. First configured the drive for 98SE and then loaded 98SE. PC seemed slow so I then loaded XP on it. Took over a day to load XP. Computer now painfully slow. Takes about 15 minutes to boot up. Any ideas?

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Hi All

I just acquired at Dell Dimension 8200 XP (2.0 Ghz, 256 RAM) from a friend who said it was broken. Turned it on noticed a clunking from his hard drive and the machine not booting up at all. Figured his drive was dead and I purchased a new one. First configured the drive for 98SE and then loaded 98SE. PC seemed slow so I then loaded XP on it. Took over a day to load XP. Computer now painfully slow. Takes about 15 minutes to boot up. Any ideas?

Try replacing the HDD.

Try replacing the HDD.

That was the first thing I did. HDD is brand new. Still really slow. Thanks.

What kind of RAM is installed in it? If it's running PC100 that's definitely gonna hurt speed. Look at upgrading the RAM. Another thing could be the temps, see if it's running hot.

I was fixing my brother's Dell Dimension 8200 and it was taking all day (really, ALL DAY) to load Win XP. Once loaded, it would take a long time to boot up and had errors which I got through by hitting F1. Then it would take longer to get to the User screen and finally to bring up a partial desktop. The problem ended up being that there are TWO power connections for 12 VDC power to the Processor, it had the wrong connection going to the motherboard connector (J5C1). Works normally now!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.