Hi all,

This is my first time here (actually, my first time on any forum!) and I'm hoping that I can find a solution to this problem that's been bugging me!!

(I did try and go through threads related to the query I'm about to make but nothing worked for me! :sad:)

Anyways, I'm running XP on a D101GGC MB off an 80 gig SATA HDD and I want to add a second 120 gig Seagate IDE HDD. But whatever I try the second drive just refuses to be recognized in the CMOS setup. I tried every possible combination of the jumper settings just to make sure that I wasn't screwing up there, but no cookie. I even disabled my CD-ROM and attached that cable and power cord to my second HDD but even then it refused to show up. (When I re-connected the CD-ROM, it showed up just fine, in the CMOS as well as in the OS, which rules out any cable or power malfunction). I tried adding the second HDD as a master (it being the only drive on the primary IDE interface), as a slave and also tried the CableSelect jumper setting. Like I said, I even tried switching over to the secondary IDE (on which the CD-ROM is connected) and tried attaching it there as well, but still no cookie. This second HDD contains only data and has been shifted from another computer where it worked just fine. (It was a secondary drive in the other machine as well, with the primary HDD being a PATA disk). The CMOS does not recognize this drive at all even on 'auto' detect. [It has been tried as a Primary (master and slave) as well as a Secondary (master and slave)] Any comments and sugestions will be much appreciated, thank you!

Hi all,

This is my first time here (actually, my first time on any forum!) and I'm hoping that I can find a solution to this problem that's been bugging me!!

(I did try and go through threads related to the query I'm about to make but nothing worked for me! :sad:)

Anyways, I'm running XP on a D101GGC MB off an 80 gig SATA HDD and I want to add a second 120 gig Seagate IDE HDD. But whatever I try the second drive just refuses to be recognized in the CMOS setup. I tried every possible combination of the jumper settings just to make sure that I wasn't screwing up there, but no cookie. I even disabled my CD-ROM and attached that cable and power cord to my second HDD but even then it refused to show up. (When I re-connected the CD-ROM, it showed up just fine, in the CMOS as well as in the OS, which rules out any cable or power malfunction). I tried adding the second HDD as a master (it being the only drive on the primary IDE interface), as a slave and also tried the CableSelect jumper setting. Like I said, I even tried switching over to the secondary IDE (on which the CD-ROM is connected) and tried attaching it there as well, but still no cookie. This second HDD contains only data and has been shifted from another computer where it worked just fine. (It was a secondary drive in the other machine as well, with the primary HDD being a PATA disk). The CMOS does not recognize this drive at all even on 'auto' detect. [It has been tried as a Primary (master and slave) as well as a Secondary (master and slave)] Any comments and sugestions will be much appreciated, thank you!

UPDATE: Turns out my HDD is dead. It is still under warranty so I'm getting back to my vendor on this.

Marking thread as solved.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.