ok so this problem is pretty complicated. ok so about a month ago i go to restart my computer. only it doesnt restart. the monitor goes black and the tower is still on. i let it sit for a few hours and came back and its the same problem. then i had no choice but to hold down the tower button thingy to turn it off. after tht when i tried to turn it back on the tower turned on. the keyboard lights are on. the fan is on. the monitor is on. yet there is no display. it remains black. then i have to once agen hold down the tower button to turn it off. when i turn it back on it works except the screen is disorted like crazy and it jumps all over the place. so then i have to shut it down agen. when i try to turn it on after tht it does the black monitor stall thing agen. then i shut it down and turn it back on and it turns on with the disorted screen. and so on and so forth in tht exact pattern. does ANYBODY have any clue as to what's happening. i would be extremely indebted to you. thank's for your time :cheesy:

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Provided you checked the monitor's function with another computer:

Sounds pretty much like a faulty graphics card or it's not sitting tight in the slot. But we know nothing about your computer and maybe you've got onboard video. But that chip could fail, too. Does already the BIOS screen jump around after powering up, or does it start later, when the first windows bootup screens appear?

Provided you checked the monitor's function with another computer:

Sounds pretty much like a faulty graphics card or it's not sitting tight in the slot. But we know nothing about your computer and maybe you've got onboard video. But that chip could fail, too. Does already the BIOS screen jump around after powering up, or does it start later, when the first windows bootup screens appear?

yeah i called the company cuz my screen was also turning a tint of blue so they're sending a new one to be replaced with mine because i have some warranty thing. i have an emachine t6216 3200+ 2.0 ghz amd athlon 64. pci-e nvidia geforce 6100. 512mb mb ddr sdram. 160 gb harddrive. the card eats up 128 mb so technically i have 384 mb of ram. im not very good with computers so im sorry if i say something faulty. ithe jumping starts later. right around the select user/login screen.

Ok. You've got integrated video (hence the 'memory sharing').
How does the distorted screen look? Is it like several flickering screens painted offset over each other or maybe narrow horizontal colored lines? - This could mean the monitor gets a way too high refresh rate it can't swallow.
Then the problem should not appear if you boot into Safe Mode. (Press F8 repeatedly after power up until you get a selection screen) Try that and report back, please.

Ok. You've got integrated video (hence the 'memory sharing').
How does the distorted screen look? Is it like several flickering screens painted offset over each other or maybe narrow horizontal colored lines? - This could mean the monitor gets a way too high refresh rate it can't swallow.
Then the problem should not appear if you boot into Safe Mode. (Press F8 repeatedly after power up until you get a selection screen) Try that and report back, please.

its the several flickering screens painted offset. it looks like a puzzle with the pieces all over the place. its definately not the lines. when i boot into safe mode its fine for the most part. i havent tried to see how videos or games run on it. i set my refresh rate to the minimum as well, 60 hertz and now instead of the insane flickering it just jumps & flickers once in a while. like when i start a video or a video game. or when i start a download. it still runs increadibly slow too.

Ok. Safe Mode won't let you run applications well...
The only thing you could try now is to re-install the graphics driver. Download a recent (91.47 or the new 93.71) nVidia graphics driver for XP. Then go to Control Panel-->Software and uninstall the nVidia graphics driver (don't confuse with your nForce 410 chipset driver). Reboot and install the downloaded driver. But I'm afraid that won't help, too if you set 60Hz already.

If nothing changed, you'll have to call eMachines again, sorry.

alright well thanks alot for your time. i really appreciate the effort. ill just try and see if i cant get my tower replaced =P

You're welcome. Good luck!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.