First, thanks to all in advance!

My PC will not start up at all. There is a constant whine when the power is attached to the motherboard and the power supply is turned on. The whining noise seems to be coming from the motherboard, near the green led light. It will not turn on at all.

I thought it was the motherboard battery, so I changed it and that is not it. It was working fine until a few weeks ago. It would make the whining noise and still be able to run, but now it does not.

Soyo SY-KT600 Dragon Ultra motherboad
AMD Athlon 2800 cpu
1 GB ram
120 GB hard drive

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

From what you say it sounds as though your heatsink fan might have gone. This can cause problems starting up as the CPU might be too warm. AMD processors are known to get very warm. Try and see if changing the fan/heatsink assembly works.

Is there any way you can film the actions and the noise and post a link to your footage on here so we can listen to it and determine the problem for sure?

Another thought.. It's unlikely but the whining could be coming from the motherboard speaker itself which would signify that the motherboard has a fault somewhere.

From what you say it sounds as though your heatsink fan might have gone. This can cause problems starting up as the CPU might be too warm. AMD processors are known to get very warm. Try and see if changing the fan/heatsink assembly works.

Is there any way you can film the actions and the noise and post a link to your footage on here so we can listen to it and determine the problem for sure?

Another thought.. It's unlikely but the whining could be coming from the motherboard speaker itself which would signify that the motherboard has a fault somewhere.

The whining is coming from the motherboard speaker. The constant whine goes away when I disconnect the power cable from the motherboard.

In that case there is a fault with the board. I would have said if it was more of a long beep then something isn't connected right or is faulty. Do you know what your BIOS is?

Check your user's maual for error codes and let us know what it says.

I started to download you manual, it's 124 pages of adobe, and I'm on dial up...I don't have that much time or patience.

Check your user's maual for error codes and let us know what it says.

I started to download you manual, it's 124 pages of adobe, and I'm on dial up...I don't have that much time or patience.

The only manual I was able to find was a 10 page one. It didnt have anything regarding it.

Where did you find the 124 page manual?

The only manual I was able to find was a 10 page one. It didnt have anything regarding it.

Where did you find the 124 page manual?

http://www.soyousa.com/downloads/filedesc.php?id=2161

I took the time to download the manual and the only mention that I found for a beep code was a reference to a beep indicating that there is a problem with the HSF assembly. Check to see if your CPU heatsink and fan are clean, and that the assembly is properly mounted and working.

I looked at that link that dcc suggested and downloaded the manual. I also found something that could be very much help to you.

Read on
The system powers-up, no video, beeping heard.
1. Clear CMOS battery. (JP5 connector, see Quick start guide for
more info on how to clear the CMOS).
2. Check all the jumper settings on the M/B. (if the M/B have any).
3. Check the memory module and the VGA card if inserted properly
on the M/B.
4. If yes, change the memory module, it might be defective. Make
sure the memory specification is supported by the M/B. (for more
info on this, check our FAQ website).
5. Change the VGA card.

I looked at that link that dcc suggested and downloaded the manual. I also found something that could be very much help to you.

Read on
The system powers-up, no video, beeping heard.
1. Clear CMOS battery. (JP5 connector, see Quick start guide for
more info on how to clear the CMOS).
2. Check all the jumper settings on the M/B. (if the M/B have any).
3. Check the memory module and the VGA card if inserted properly
on the M/B.
4. If yes, change the memory module, it might be defective. Make
sure the memory specification is supported by the M/B. (for more
info on this, check our FAQ website).
5. Change the VGA card.

But my computer does not power up at all.

Hang on a second... you said that the whining was happening when you switched the machine on. That tells me that you definitely have got some power there. Look at the manual in the above link and read down from page 113 (appendix B - Troubleshooting - 1st start problems). I would but i don't have the time right now.

Hang on a second... you said that the whining was happening when you switched the machine on. That tells me that you definitely have got some power there. Look at the manual in the above link and read down from page 113 (appendix B - Troubleshooting - 1st start problems). I would but i don't have the time right now.

The whining happens when i try to turn on the machine and will not stop whining until I unplug the power supply directly from the motherboard itself.

The machine will not turn on at all, nothing. The only thing that happens when I try to turn it on is the green led on the m/b comes on and the whining starts.

By whine are you talking about a small, high pitched, constant whine?

Sounds like capacitor whine, to me. http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?p=597796

I have a Biostar K8NHA board that had been making that high-pitched whine (somewhere right on the motherboard by the CPU where there are a handful of capacitors) for about two years and it seems to have decided to die today. Mine only whined when the unit was powered on.

Anyway, it seems possible that the problem might be a failed component. Have you tried removing all unnecessary parts to see if one of them is the problem? Look at the sticky http://www.daniweb.com/forums/thread27079.html ... and try to remove all components that aren't absolutely necessary.

Do you have another power supply to see if that is the problem? I have a spare and that proved to me that the powersupply was not the problem. Good luck,

--Matthew

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.