Hello,

Problem 1: I am trying to install XP SP2 (32bit) on my XPC 64bit Shuttle [500 GB Hard drive, 2 GB Ram]. During the install, Windows setup alerts that a large number of install files cannot be copied to the hard drive. I hit 'escape' to skip the install of these files. What could be the cause of Windows setup not finding or being able to copy these files to my hard drive? I've swapped out the CD-Rom and the hard drive and still have the problem.

Problem 2: Near the end of setup, computer stops and BSOD and stop error display with IRQ_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL.

I also get these other 2 stop errors: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and NONPAGE FAULT.... I am not able to complete the install of XP.

The disk is newly formatted. The machine is brand new and the components were all assembled by me (maybe that's the problem).

From my forum research, it seems that the problem could be either corrupt physical RAM or memory management.

Can you help me go down the right troubleshooting path please?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

There could be couple of likely possibilities:

- you need f4 drivers (for SATA/SATA II drives)

- memory timings are incorrect

- incopatible memory-mobo-CPU

- CPU/DRAM voltage is too low

- badly overclocked machine

- faulty piece of hardware (mobo, memory, HD...)

Thanks Chaky! I installed the f4 drivers. Then I swapped out the 2 mem sticks. XP installed fine without error. Then I put the questionable memory sticks back in the machine and ran memtest. Tons of memory and badram errors.

Memory errors could be side-effect of wrong timings. Before you RMA the sticks:

Make sure that BIOS DRAM settings are set on "auto".
If it already is, then set it on "manual" and use this formula

CAS# latency (Tcl) - this value should be known to you
Min RAS# active time (Tras) - this value should be known to you
RAS# to CAS# delay (Trcd) - this value should be known to you
Row precharge Time (Trp) - this value should be known to you
Row cycle time (Trc) = Tras + Trp
Row refresh cyc time (Trfc) = Trc + 4

P.S. You can use CPU-Z to check your current memory timings and SPD timings table.
I had to use this formula on my DDR memory. I'm not sure whether this works on DDR2 memory.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.