Hi all

I am in serious trouble. i am not able to access my i: (which is a logical drive). whenever/ wherever i click on the icon it says i:\ not accessable. Access Denied. For this drive the sharing and security tab in the properties window is missing. so i cant view the permissions also. Please help me to gain access to my i: drive.

As per my knowledge it must be somthing to do with the permissions.

Please find a solution, it would be very nice of you people.

Kind Regards
Sandy

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

the first thing, is it shown in disk management?

the first thing, is it shown in disk management?

Yeah, i can my drive everywhere. but the problem it is inaccessable. i cant see the sharing, security tab in the property window of that drive.

ok , please give your system spec(os, hardware especially HDs) and after what did it begin happen?

I am presently using Windows Xp Pro with SP2. i have one hard disk with 3 partitions. i really dont know how did it happen.

I have a clue on this its basically because of some permissions. which is very unusal (like S1-5XXX...). which has been set. which will remove the security, sharing and quota tabs from the properties of that drive.

but i dont know how to make it normal. moreover my clue might not be true, as i have no idea how it happened.

whta file system do you have, if file system is NTFS, the best way to destroy NTFS perms is to convert drive to FAT32. or make this:
ry this. Use the file I have attached, save it to your computer and extract it to your d:\

Go to a command prompt and type

takeown D:\(insert name of folder)

This "should" give your current user rights to the folder. Your best doing this with your administrator account.

Hope this works.

whta file system do you have, if file system is NTFS, the best way to destroy NTFS perms is to convert drive to FAT32. or make this:
ry this. Use the file I have attached, save it to your computer and extract it to your d:\

Go to a command prompt and type

takeown D:\(insert name of folder)

This "should" give your current user rights to the folder. Your best doing this with your administrator account.

Hope this works.

Hi fry

Thnks for the support. i dont know what exactly will that command do. i am having some important data present in it. so i am not supposed to convert it inorder to access my drive. so please tell me what will that exe do?

Kind regards

hi excuse me for such a late answer. don't worry about this .exe, it won't do anything with your hd, it only change permissions in order you can have access to you hd.

Hello and very thankx
This takeown file has worked for me and it onlocks the restrictions on my drives.

But to makes it work I have to run this file for evry folder and then every file in it . It is lot of work.
Could you please tell me any other file that will just unlock every file in the folders as well.

Thanks

Hey ksadny46,
I am not familiar with the takeown program provided to you but if you gain access to the root directory try this.

1. Right click on I drive and select Properties
2. Click on the Security tab
3. Click Advanced
4. Within the advanced window select your administrator account and choose to apply onto “This folder, subfolders, and files” click ok
5. Then check the box at the bottom of this window “Replace permission entries on all child objects with entries shown here……”

Hope that helps,
AJZ

Hi all

I am in serious trouble. i am not able to access my c: drive(when i open my computer it is shown like (Access Denied (c:) wherever i click on the icon it says c:\ not accessable. Access Denied. For this drive the sharing and security tab in the properties window is missing. so i cant view the permissions also. Please help me to gain access to my i: drive.

As per my knowledge it must be somthing to do with the permissions.

Please find a solution, it would be very nice of you people.

my hdd capicity is 250 gb i have two partition with NTFS and i have OS is Windows Vista so please soluation reply as early as possible

Kind Regards

sanjay

HI all
after reinstallation of my OS, i got a problem

that my drive D can't be opened by double click on it " giving message access denied "and once you right click on u will see the first choice is open(0)

any idea

Hey Hanosh,
Sounds like you need to take ownership of that drive the following steps will take care of it for you.

• Right click on I drive and select Properties
  • Click on the Security tab
  • Click Advanced
  • Click the Owner tab and your account
  • Check the box that says “Replace owner on Sub….”
  • Ok and you should be good to go

AJZ

Where is I drive?? When i right click my drive and select properties i don't find the security tab!

"takeown" method worked great on same error for me too. Thanks.

Hi
Tnx to AJZ i have resolved my problem with similar OS XP problems, by reading the whole thread i have saved some important files ....Thanx

Klippies

what is the use of child objects?

Thanks a ton FRY............ U made my day the exe worked like magic.. but can u tell me why does it happen? This happened to me because i copied a lot of data at once.
Thanks
Sam

Hello and very thankx
This takeown file has worked for me and it onlocks the restrictions on my drives.

But to makes it work I have to run this file for evry folder and then every file in it . It is lot of work.
Could you please tell me any other file that will just unlock every file in the folders as well.

Thanks

Where is I drive?? When i right click my drive and select properties i don't find the security tab!

turn off simple filesharing. i accidently left it on and finally realized that was it. and change your security settings as needed.

check the problem in disk mangement may be u can solve that

Good. The 'takeown' method can work good for me.
Thanks!.

I am also having this trouble on my HP Pavillion, Windows 7 OS, 600GB (2x300GB HDDs). I accidentally erased my secondary drive's partition that contained my files and docs. Now, I can't access it. It says I'm not set as the current owner. PLEASE HELP!!!!!

hi i have emachine lap top and it is divided into two Vista and Data. the problem is that i can't delete or paste anything in data d;drive can you please help.

Thank You User Fry :) You have saved me from alot of heartache using the takeown.exe as it works for me. For all Users, Save the takeown.exe into the C:\ and run command prompt c:\>takeown X:

I can access my local drive, even I can't find the security tab but security tab is there in other drive after I right on the properties.(other dive)

First i tell you how to get sharing & security wizard.
1.open my computer > tools from menubar > in that click Folder option.
2. then goto view panel.
3. go last and find "Use sharing wizard" enable it.
4. finish > check now.........

another is first you check your drive is healthy or not if it is corrupt then not access.
so only way is format or if recover with "chkdsk /f" than possible to access.

for check drive status goto > mycomputer> properties > manage > disk management..
check drive.

may you solve it !!

Hi!!I have the same problem!!
Can you help me?I'm in trouble.My best stupid friend did the best problem for me.I'm going to lose all my thesis data.HELP ME!!!
I have a 1TB external hard disk with 2 partitions.He said that..
He right clicked on External Hard disk(H: )
Left click on Properties(menu item)
Left click on Security>Edit>Deny Full control(check box) in "Permissions for External Hard disk(H: )"
Left click on "Users (MY-PC\Users) (list item)" > "Deny Full control (check box)" in "Permissions for External Hard disk(H: )"
Left click on "Apply" > "OK"

Now, this drive(H: ) is access denied and there is no "Security" tab to rechange setting.
I unplugged and restarted it.The message to Format The Drive appeared.
Please help me with this ! This disk contains many important things of my life.
I promise I'll punish my friend well.
Windows 7,NTSF

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.