I have what my father lovingly refers to as the blue screen of death.

I use my laptop for work and out of the clear blue sky, I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't boot. It begins to load(gives me an F2 option that when I press does nothing), and then goes straight to a blue screen with a cursor.

I took out the battery and the DVD drive but still nothing(I won't do more than that without instruction because I have o clue what I'm doing). I have no menu options to click on anything and because I am a fool, I didn't back up any of my work docs. I'm really up sh*t's creek.

Help?!?! Please?!?!?

Hey Dude,

First off you might have a virus and according to what you describe, I had the same problem with a notebook. Here's a couple of things you could try first.

1. I found the virus was causing havoc in the MBR... I used a winxp oem disk and performed a repair that reset the MBR (Master Boot Record)to default. This allowed me to get into safe mode. If you don't have the disk, do a search online "how to fix MBR".
It might suggest using a floppy or another media.

2. Run a virus scan perhaps from the CD boot first option in your BIOS, or safe mode. If you can get into it. (press F8 at boot up) (Keep pressing until you here beeps/see safemode screen) Do a search at www.cnet.com online (using another PC of course) for free AVG or AVAST antivirus and malware bytes software download via USB.

3. Get some type of backup program going for yourself. Always use anti virus and malware protection.

Good Luck

I have what my father lovingly refers to as the blue screen of death.

I use my laptop for work and out of the clear blue sky, I tried to turn it on and it wouldn't boot. It begins to load(gives me an F2 option that when I press does nothing), and then goes straight to a blue screen with a cursor.

I took out the battery and the DVD drive but still nothing(I won't do more than that without instruction because I have o clue what I'm doing). I have no menu options to click on anything and because I am a fool, I didn't back up any of my work docs. I'm really up sh*t's creek.

Help?!?! Please?!?!?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.