Hello,

My computer recently stopped sending a signal to the monitor. It's an older computer (maybe 5 years), it turns on fine...but the monitor remains blank. I typically have to hold the power button for about 10 seconds to turn the tower off.

I've tested the monitor...and when I unplug it from the tower, it goes through its regular "not connected" screen.

Any ideas on either how to fix the problem, or how I could somehow transfer files from the old computer to a newer one?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

motherboard

Have you tried connecting the monitor to another computer to check that it works?
Also try cleaning out the VGA port, dust may obstruct the connectors.
Otherwise, try a different monitor, and if you get the same trouble the motherboard VGA port is at fault, you may want to take it to a computer store to have it checked and fixed, or buy a new/used Graphics card, so you can run the monitor through that, or even go for a new computer. Whichever fits your needs.

unfortunately, I have tried other monitors and connection cables...to no avail.

But the new card is an approach that I can take before I give up all hope.

Thanks!

Please check which port you have available, it will either be a PCI-E port or an AGP port. This determines which type of GFX card you can buy.
By the side of the port the name will be printed, so stare around the ports or use a magnifying glass to see that extra bit clearly.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.