Hi there,

I am having a problem with my Sony Vaio laptop PCG-K315B, with Intel Celeron D, Processor 340, 2.93 GHz, Harddrive 40 GB/Go, RAM 512 MB/Mo. I have had it for over 2 years now.

It makes a really loud noise as I am using it and also gets hot very quickly. I maybe using it and then out of the blue it just shuts off automatically, with no prior warning.
It has been going for awhile, and I have learnt to use it for awhile but then to let it cool off for 10 minutes or so before I start using it again. Its just getting really frustrating now and I really need to sort it out!

I think the problem is with the fan but don't know know how to repair this or what to do.
I would really appreciate any advice.

Thanks.

NimishaG

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

I don't have the same model VAIO that you do, but it does sound like you have a broken fan. The system probably has an override that shuts down when it gets too hot to prevent damage.

You can disassemble the box and look at the fan. This will be a bit of a pain because there will be many screws to remove. There are usually arrows pointing to the screws, which helps (remember to check under the feet!).

Alternatively, there are laptop bases that you can buy which have built in fans and some type of thermal material to keep the bottom cool. These are generally for laptops that get too warm to put on your lap, but it may help if you can't find replacement parts.

Good luck!

Hi, I am having the same problem with my g/f's laptop. Vaio K315b. I bought the dissassembly manual from ebay, but I haven't got around to fixing it for her yet. If you want I will send you a copy to help you taking it apart.

Hi, I am having the same problem with my g/f's laptop. Vaio K315b. I bought the dissassembly manual from ebay, but I haven't got around to fixing it for her yet. If you want I will send you a copy to help you taking it apart.

Hi, Andrew,any chance of a copy of those instructions?
I have a dead 325b sony as well.
<Snip>
Regards
Neil

Hi, I had the same problem with my sony vaio over heating and the proccesor running at 100% most of the time, I took it apart and replaced the thermal paste on the cpu and now it works great no more over heating. A good place to get a step by step guide is at www.insidemylaptop.com.
hope this has been helpfull. Craig

Hi, Andrew,any chance of a copy of those instructions?
I have a dead 325b sony as well.
nsb_bowman@ntlworld.com
Regards
Neil

That would be great if you would send them to my email
<Snip>
Thanks very much

i have the same problem. my VAIO laptop turns on, then the fan will not spin, then after about 45mins of useing it, it just over heats and shuts off. :( it gets soo hot sometimes that it burns to touch it. :sweat: ive had it for years, mabe its time for and upgrade? :-/

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.