Hey guys,

I'm in a Linux class right now; never used Linux before. I was given a copy of RH9 with my book and have it installed but can't load my nic on it. I go to terminal and type /sbin/ifconfig eht0 up which works. But then I try to use the dhcpcd command and it says command not found? could someone give me a hand? I have a Dell laptop with integrated nic.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Hey guys,

I'm in a Linux class right now; never used Linux before. I was given a copy of RH9 with my book and have it installed but can't load my nic on it. I go to terminal and type /sbin/ifconfig eht0 up which works. But then I try to use the dhcpcd command and it says command not found? could someone give me a hand? I have a Dell laptop with integrated nic.

Out of interest how old is your Laptop? RH9 is about 4-5 years old (2002 - 2003?). It may be worth getting hold of a later version (after Redhat 9 the releases were known as Fedora Core - Fedora Core 6 is the latest).

I realise it is dodging the problem but I'd imagine FC6 will automatically set up any Dell NIC automatically.

You can get it free here. If you don't have broadband there are links on distrowatch.com to companies who will send the disks for about $5-10.

I've been in the position before where I couldn't get something working and usually these things are fixed in later versions.

I have thought of going with a Fedora version. The only problem I may end up running into is, the book we have is Red Hat 9. Are there a lot of differences between the two, especially pertaining to command lines? If not, I would probably benifit more from learning Fedora anyways.

The computer lab at the school has Fedora, and our prof. said if he counts a question wrong, but we know it will work in Fedora, to show him and he'd count it right.

I have thought of going with a Fedora version. The only problem I may end up running into is, the book we have is Red Hat 9. Are there a lot of differences between the two, especially pertaining to command lines? If not, I would probably benifit more from learning Fedora anyways.

The computer lab at the school has Fedora, and our prof. said if he counts a question wrong, but we know it will work in Fedora, to show him and he'd count it right.

I'm no longer a Redhat/Fedora user; the last incarnation I used heavily was FC4 which as I remember wasn't too different to RH9. Generally the fast paced development seems to be in the desktop environments and associated applications etc, under the hood the changes are more subtle and the tools mentioned in the book are very very likely to still be included in FC.

You're right though, it does make more sense to learn with the latest tools.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.