I am no Mac expert, just an old dude who has had experience with Mac computers since 1995.

I read posts here to see if there are problems to which I might be able to offer possible solutions, but am often confounded by posters who offer nothing on the year of manufacture of their computer, or the operating system they are using and maybe even how much RAM they have. E.g, 2012 MB Pro with 4GB of ram running High Sierra.

To me, this would seem to be the absolute minimum for a poster to provide, no?

On a Mac List to which I belong, someone offered this advice for someone seeking help with a computer problem. I would not expect anyone to provide all this info when posting, but the page is a useful check list for folks seeking help.

JamesCherrill commented: Yes, absolutely right. It's the same as the people who ask why their program doesn't work but don't post the code. +15
rproffitt commented: I wish folk would provide basic info but over the years I have come think they are just flustered about the problem so they don't think about this. +15

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

It centers on the relationship between student and teacher, regardless of discipline. To simply say that the problem exists, without going into any sort of detail will discourage any thoughtful response. People in the know will glance onwards, as they don't wish to invest time pulling answers out of someone. Give proper details. Show that you have put some thought into the issue.

commented: Great outlook. Welcome back. +15

I like the idea of creating a topic for discussing problems with Mac.

Like the one you are replying to, do you mean? :-)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.