I have Vista Premium on an ACER T180 machine.

I recently noticed the exclamation point next to the WPD FileSystem Volume Driver under Device Manager. When I double click on it, the error code is:
This device cannot start. (Code 10)

Click 'Check for solutions' to send data about this device to Microsoft and to see if there is a solution available.

I have uninstalled the device several times. I followed the directions for modifiying the registry in KB314060 (even though this isn't for a CD/DVD problem.) The device in question is the card reader that came installed in the PC. If I put an SD card into the reader, it freezes Windows Explorer until I remove it. The USB port on the card reader seems to work when I plug things into it.

I noticed this problem when I tried to connect my brand new camera to the machine. It also is getting the same error code. I'm guessing that the two are being caused by the same problem, so if I solve one, hopefully the other one will be solved too.

Any ideas on what could resolve this issue? Thanks in advance for any help you could give me.

-Carol

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

WPD stands for Windows Portable Device. It's the driver that allows you to treat your CF and MS cards and USB sticks as a devices for Media Syncing. It is also required for ReadyBoost to work.

You could disable the device but you probably wanna use it.

It sounds like you need a driver update first can you please go into device manager and right click on the the device and then driver tab and tell me what the driver version and date and manufacture is and what it says under digital sig.

Here is the info you requested. Let me know if there is anything else you need...

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver date: 6/21/2006
Driver version: 6.0.6000.16386
Digital Signer: microsoft windows

Device Type: Portable Devices
Manufacturer: (WPD file system device)

It may possible be becuase you are using a mircosoft driver instead of the manufactures driver. Microsoft would have written the driver for generic devices so would work 9 times out of 10 looks like your the unlucky one, I would always recommend using the manufactures drivers as they are written specifically for your hardware.

However I have looked on the acer website for them and in google but can only find an xp driver for the card reader you can try it, it may not work but is worth a go.

http://drivers.softpedia.com/get/Other-DRIVERS-TOOLS/Others/Acer-Aspire-T180-Card-Reader-Driver.shtml

If this doesnt work then go to http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/desktop/aspire_t180.html

and download all the drivers and install them over the old drivers in device manager the ati one should be a chipset driver which may solve the problem. You could always email acer support and ask them when they will release a vista driver they may even have a beta driver which you could use.

Thanks, the first driver hasn't worked. I'm in the process of downloading all of the updated drivers from Acer.

This system came with Vista pre-installed, so I'm not sure why they aren't using a vista driver specific for the card reader. I don't think I really ever tried to use the card reader (other than for the USB port) before. I'll let you know how that works and if it doesn't I'll contact acer support.

cool i think it is acer being lazy or you downloaded a vista update for the hardware have you tried rolling back the driver to the previous version if there is one that might be worth a try. If you do have to contact support dont take any crap from em ask em where the vista driver for the hardware is or when they will release it, if they sell a computer as vista ready with vista preloaded it should at least work. But make sure you try rolling back the driver first

System: I'm currently running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a HP a6130n desktop computer.
Issue: WPD FileSystem Volume driver software. Properties status shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"
symptoms: install WPD FileSystem Volume driver software after every login

The issue is the same although i noticed one of the card readers were missing under computer folder. Instructions are as follows:

1. Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
2. Click on the Device manager tab. You will see the ! in "WPD FileSystem Volume driver software."
3. Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem disappears.
4. Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and select properties.
5. Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what Disk number the populate assigned it.
6. Go back to the Computer Management window. On the left side is a folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk Management.
7. At the bottom is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and paths.."
8. Assign the drive letter and go back to the Device Manager.
9. problem gone.

Reassigning Drive letters solved my problem - thanks!

A quick description on how I found myself with WPD FileSystem trouble just so someone else may recognize the situation: I normally keep -lots- of partition letters around, currently C: through O: with Z: as my DVD-R. I had temporarily plugged in a mirror drive which *also* had partitions C: through O: and they were reassigned P:, Q:, etc until it wrapped around to A: and B: with still a few partitions left without drive letters. Unfortunately my USB key / ReadyBoost drive got assigned a drive letter -after- the HDD's and there were no letters available. Same with a Vista SideShow device which looks like a USB drive to the system. Even after the backup HDD was removed the original drive letters were not assigned to the two USB devices and Vista threw the Error Code 10. Simply reassigning drive letters in the Disk Management window fixed the situation.

Thanks!

commented: You REALLY know what you're talking about THANKS SO MUCH you helped me fix a problem I"ve been having with my iPod for months. +0

System: 1. Right click computer under the start tab and select manage
2. Click on the Device manager tab. You will see the ! in "WPD FileSystem Volume driver software."
3. Click on Disk drives and disable each one until the WPD FileSystem disappears.
4. Reinable all the drives then right click the problem drive and select properties.
5. Click on the volumes tab then select "populate" then note down what Disk number the populate assigned it.
6. Go back to the Computer Management window. On the left side is a folder called Disk Management(under the Storage folder). Select Disk Management.
7. At the bottom is a list of disks. Right click the disk number you populated for the problem drive and select "Change drive letter and paths.."
9. problem gone.

Hi ! I got the same problem. I have Vista Home Premium (32 bite) and i mistakenly disabled the sound. There is a red cross on the speaker icon at the bottom right corner of my computer and when i opened the playback it said No Audio (output) Devices installed.

I followed the abovementioned steps and disabled it many times but it didn't help. Now, when i check it has completely disappeared from the device manager list. Actually, it was listed under portable devices.

Please help me reinstall the sound. I don't have any sound installation CD either :'(

Hi ! I got the same problem. I have Vista Home Premium (32 bite) and i mistakenly disabled the sound. There is a red cross on the speaker icon at the bottom right corner of my computer and when i opened the playback it said No Audio (output) Devices installed.

I followed the above mentioned steps and disabled it many times but it didn't help. Now, when i check it has completely disappeared from the device manager list. Actually, it was listed under portable devices.

Please help me reinstall the sound. I don't have any sound installation CD either :'(

First of all. Find out from you specs of the pc which sound card you have installed, then go to the manufacturers site and download the latest drivers for that sound card. You are properly trying to install a driver that is old or not compatible.

As for the WPD, I have windows 7 and did the actions below which fixed my problem.:
Here's how I fixed the Blackberry. You can use the same aproach for any USB removeable for Vista or XP.

1. My Computer -> Properties -> Advanced System Settings. This takes you into the system properties like in XP. Go into Environment variables and create a new System varable called "devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices" ( without the quotes - I don't think it's case sensitive). Set this to a value of 1.

2. Go into device manager. From the view menu, choose "show hidden devices". Because of the environment variable, you now see all devices not in use.

3. Uninstall any "Universal Serial Bus controllers" not in use (greyed out). Also I uninstalled any storage volumes, storage volume shadow copies, and disk drives also not in use. You should see your offending USB device in one of these areas.

Now try plugging your device in and see if it now detects. You should be ok now, even after a reboot.

-Paul
Proposed As Answer by Paul H NJ
Wednesday, April 22, 2009 1:43 PM

I put the original author to show my gratitute. How did it fix it?

For some reason the device manager filled up all 26 drive letters with bogus ports!! so If you plug in another device it cannot be given a drive number, hence, doing the above takes away the drive numbers that are bogus and ...wolla ..now everything works !!!

Alun

Hi My name is JL

I Have the same problem but mine is with the SD card reader. Im sorry im pretty much a complete idiot at computers or well atleast the technical side of it. I would like some information on how to fix the problem. It has the ! on the SD Host adapters then branches to SDA standard compliance SDA host Controller

When I click for details it gives me this.

The device cannot start.

Device Type: SD Host adapters
Manufacturer: SDA Standard Compliant SD Host Controller Vendor

I click on the driver tab up top and gives me this.

Driver provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 6/21/2006
Driver Version: 6.0.6002.18005
Digital Signer microsoft windows

Then it gives me the choices to click
Driver details
Update Driver
(the rollback driver button is unavaliable)
Disable
Uninstall

Thats as far as i know.
If Someone can please give me information on how to fix this problem. I have read many say that they just changed the driver letter or asigned a letter or something like that but i dont really get what that means or even how to do it. I would appreciate it if someone would help me out and explain it as plain terms as possible. Thank You!!

Hi i´m from Colombia so sorry for my english...

i have an Olympus u1040 digital camera. i have on my pc windows 7ultimate 64 bits. when i connect the camera to the pc it recognizes the camera but doesn't run, the pc on the explorer shows the camera drive but if you try to open it the pc thinks and thinks and thinks and never open... i have the code 10 error on the microsoft WPD file system volume...i tried to change the drive letter but doesn't work. i uninstall the drivers millions times but doesn´t work too.

may you help me?

hi i have the same problem i have had my laptop for under a month i have had to take the laptop back already due to other problem and this memory card problem is about to tip me over the edge i have already tried this but it unpopulates the drive straight away

9. problem gone.

any help will be extremely appreciated

Thanks Textronics, Your post was exactly the cause of mine. I just removed some of the USB controllers that were in the list and it freed up drive letters (which windows hiddenly assigned). I was then able to set the drive letter to L: using post by yourgoodimbeter

System: I'm currently running Vista Home Premium 32 bit with a HP a6130n desktop computer.
Issue: WPD FileSystem Volume driver software. Properties status shows "This device cannot start. (Code 10)"

The issue is the same although i noticed one of the card readers were missing under computer folder. Instructions are as follows:

9. problem gone.

i dont under stand this step.
i have to right click computer under the start tab?? <- doesnt give enough information to get there!

9. problem gone.

i try my self it's ok....

yourgoodimbeter lived up to his name. Fixed my problem after trying all sorts of useless MS troubleshooting and KBs. The question is why Windows doesn't recognize and resolve this on its own when the fix is so basically straightforward.

yourgoodimbeter brilliant thanks a billion

thank you guys , life saver with the problem , WPD file system drive usb not show, i fix it

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.