What it says on the tin.
Assume that every easily-googled effort to fix Windows 10 has failed and rollback attempts have failed.
Assume I have access to a PE/LiveCD.
Assume that Power -> Shift+Restart -> Troubleshoot ->??? is useless to me.
(This is quite a unique situation!)
Assume that I still have the Windows.old file.
Assume that I really don't want to reinstall from scratch.
With these assumptions in mind, how do I MANUALLY rollback to Windows?

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Such a feat would be ground breaking. Something on the scale of a meteor impact site. Not only would you have to deal with getting all the files back into place but permissions and more. Then you have to deal with boot areas, NTLOADER issues and wow, just wow. This is probably why you haven't seen anyone pull this off. But let's hope you know to clone this drive and operate on the clone so you can try and try again and again. That is, you are off the reservation, 5 Kilometers in the air and no chute. I don't expect success in this effort.

After all these years, and don't get mad, why isn't there a backup made before big changes like this?

My brother-in-law had to do this. He restored Win7 from his recovery partition, and disabled automatic updates. We were able to recover his data. In any case, the update to Win10 didn't seem to have affected the recovery partition. Have you tried that yet?

I don't know why they don't just let you put your old os into a cloud fully functioning but not aware, yet accessible from the cloud. That would be amazing, you could switch to ME to feel nostalgic like when I want to play my game boy or the Nintendo I rebought a year or so ago intent on buying zelda to play one last time!!

Once you get Windows 7 back up and running you may want to have a look at GWX Control Panel to help prevent any further attempts from Microsoft to UPDATE-YOU-FOR-YOUR-OWN-GOOD.

@ECODATA - That's why they invented Virtual Box, Virtual PC and VMWare.

you cannot. not even it you have windows 10 still up and running windows 10, it will tell you that after 10 days of running windows 10 you cannot roll back to windows 7. now in your case woulnt it be better to just reinstall windows 7

I got a laptop with Win 8 and they kept pressuring me to jump to 10. If 8 was so bad for me I dreaded 10, so now I have reverted to Windows 7 and am happier with that.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.