Hello pc geeks!!! I need some advice from one of you geekheads who can tweak the crap out of vista/xp. I'm looking for something more advanced than defraging the hdd, msconfig, waittokillapptimeout, and other well known tweaks. I want some new advanced ones that can improve pc performance significantly. Thank you for your help.

Here are my pc specs just in case:

17" hd notebook lcd
2gb ram
240gb hdd
nvidia ge force 8600m gs w/ 1gb total video ram
intel core 2 duo t5250 at 1.5 ghz
windows vista home premium x64
a pc in need for some cool tweaks!!

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

disabling unnecessary services under xp can give up to 60% performance boost

google for xp sp2 services - theres a good list on eldergeek.

I've done that a year ago! Thanks anyway.

Here are a few tips. if you need explanations on how to do them please let me know.

Disable Drive Indexing
Turn Off System Restore
Remove All Temp Files Regularly
Defrag HardDrive
Move PageFile to secondary drive if you have one
Remove Uneccesary Startup Applications
Disable services that you don't use
Change All Views to Classic

These are all of the major tweaks but there are lots more you can do as well. However, you won't see huge improvements with each of the following tweaks only seconds or less.

http://www.tweakxp.com/performance_tweaks.aspx

Best:)

classic- no way!!!

rest- been there, done that!! thanx for trying to help!!!

Apart from rewiring the entire windows operation there is not much more that can be done all the tweaks mention are very good and you can get one program to do all this, seem you want to know the codes for windows and change them yourself,,,,,,NOT going to happen. you can search high and low thats as much as you are going to get. I suggest you look into Ubuntu as an alternative to you woes.

if you cut virtually everything out of windows using nlite and xplite, it uses 24mb ram when idle. i did that to get it to run on someones ancient pc (32mb ram) - it was for a cash till in a small shop so all it needed to do was run a basic c++ program and communicate with the scanner/printer/cash drawer by serial, ps/2 and paralell ports - no networking or telephony required as they didnt take cards and they only had one till, therefore no need for a stock control server.

Apart from rewiring the entire windows operation there is not much more that can be done all the tweaks mention are very good and you can get one program to do all this, seem you want to know the codes for windows and change them yourself,,,,,,NOT going to happen. you can search high and low thats as much as you are going to get. I suggest you look into Ubuntu as an alternative to you woes.

First, I don't have any woes. Second, i only use ubuntu on my test machine. I am NOT looking to get the windows codes.

These threads are for help, and if you can't help, bobbyraw, don't even bother to post.

you getting the help you need but you still asking for more,,,,,,you don't need help you want to test the forum as to what esle they can come up with tweaks.......FOR YOU

what's with the winnie the pooh picture, bobby raw?

seem you want to know the codes for windows and change them yourself,,,,,,NOT going to happen

actually, ms do give away the code to xp embedded under the shared source licence, for companies to tweak and use for embedded applications

XP embeded is strip down for thin clients, same XP without all the bells and whistle,,,,but no good for a home use user..which home user would have time to recode windows just to have a faster running PC

im pretty sure if you were a microsoft partner, you could get the code for any windows os through shared source

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.