i tried to reinstall windows xp onto my computer but there was a problem, in the middle of installing it, it says that it didnt copy the right files onto the computer and theres incorrect parameters with the ASMS or something. and now when i reboot it doesnt say press any key to boot from cd even though i have it set to say that, it just says "Remove disks or other media. Press any key to restart," even though there is no disks in the computer and if u press any key it just keeps showing up again. i want it to boot from the windows cd so i can try to reinstall windows again, how am i able to make it boot from the cd?

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If it were mine i would get a win98 bootdisk[www.boordisk.com] boot computer with the floppy in, and at the A:\ type in FDISK it will detect the drive, or tell you no fixed disk present. if you get into fdisk then it recognize the drive ,and then go to #3 and delete non dos partition if You Chose NTFS file system when you Tried to install Win XP, and then escape out of that and choose #1 to create new dos partition .then escape out and with the XP CD in Reboot Computer and See what happens !
How to use Fdisk
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q255867

Go into BIOS setup again, set 1st boot device to CD-ROM, and ensure all other boot devices are set to 'disabled'. With a bit of luck, that should restore your ability to boot from the CD. Use the setup routine to delete existing partitions, and then create a new one for the installation.

Be watchful, however. when the system reboots during the Windows installation, you will need to go back into BIOS setup and set 2nd boot device to HDD-0 before continuing.

Go into BIOS setup again, set 1st boot device to CD-ROM, and ensure all other boot devices are set to 'disabled'. With a bit of luck, that should restore your ability to boot from the CD. Use the setup routine to delete existing partitions, and then create a new one for the installation.

Be watchful, however. when the system reboots during the Windows installation, you will need to go back into BIOS setup and set 2nd boot device to HDD-0 before continuing.

There is always a right way and a hard way !Another right way for me to remember on my journey through cyper space !thanks

heh heh...

That's merely a little trick I worked out a while back to help with motherboards which cause headaches with booting from CD ;)

heh heh...

That's merely a little trick I worked out a while back to help with motherboards which cause headaches with booting from CD ;)

Good Tip all the same ,no to just store it in this old memory ,and remember to use it .LOL

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.