Hi there,

I have a pentium 4 desktop computer at home, well it was running fine since 2 weeks... i had remove hard disk to place on another computer as slave and the re-inserted the hard disk back, but since then, i don't have any audio devices on my computer, the audio is integrated. When i go to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices there is no audio devices.

When going to the audio tab the Sound Playback and Sound Recording are grayed out and i can't choose any of them.

I tries to go to Administrative Tools/Services to check whether the Windows Audio Startup type was set to automatic and it was correctly set to automatic.

I tries to install several sound drivers like Realtek and SIS but the problem is still not resolved.

Here is the information for my Motherboard:

Field Value

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID -- 10/30/2002-SiS-645-6A6IXQ19C-00
Motherboard Name -- QDI Superb 4

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type -- Intel NetBurst
Bus Width -- 64-bit
Real Clock -- 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock - 400 MHz
Bandwidth -- 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type -- SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width -- 16-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots -- 1
Expansion Slots -- 6 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR
RAM Slots -- 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices -- Audio
Form Factor -- ATX
Motherboard Size -- 220 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset -- SiS645

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name QDI Business Unit of Legend Holdings Limited
Product Information
http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/Products/products_p4.htm

BIOS Download
http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/support/driver.htm

Can someone please help, because I really don't know what to do next...

Thx in advance

Recommended Answers

All 18 Replies

Member Avatar for thunderstorm98

Try 'Last Known Good Configuration' before Windows boot up by pressing the key F8.
Maybe this will help you...if not then let me know.

i tried it but its the same message "no audio devices"...

I already went to the motherboard and installed the VIA AC97 Audio and also other audio driver
but i still got the same result...

Remove this device in Control Panel and reboot.

Sorry to ask this but how do we remove the device?

Open Control Panel/System/Hardware/Device Manager
Look under audio devices, right click and uninstall.
Look for yellow marks on other devices while you''re there.
Devices will be reinstalled on reboot and should work, with a little luck.

i can't uninstall the drivers because when i right click i don't get the option to uninstall the drivers....

You have to expand the category (Click the plus sign) to see the devices.
If that doesn't work, use the "Action" menu.

Am new here. Having similar problem but keen to follow your suggestion. lets hope it works. thanks guys!

Actually have you tried doing a Custom windows Update.
I have also tried what you have done (HDD to slave on another computer) but I did a Windows Update and went to Custom Update or what ever.
In the "Hardware" part of Windows Update it might give you the necessary drivers.

Let us know

Thanks Maui_Mallard. Interesting thing is that the audio was ok till I upgraded to windows xp pro fro home edition (on which my HP printer was not working). Windows pro solved the printer problem and the audio worked well for about two days then it went off... Keen to try your suggestion. Gday.

Hi there,

I have a pentium 4 desktop computer at home, well it was running fine since 2 weeks... i had remove hard disk to place on another computer as slave and the re-inserted the hard disk back, but since then, i don't have any audio devices on my computer, the audio is integrated. When i go to Control Panel/Sound and Audio Devices there is no audio devices.

When going to the audio tab the Sound Playback and Sound Recording are grayed out and i can't choose any of them.

I tries to go to Administrative Tools/Services to check whether the Windows Audio Startup type was set to automatic and it was correctly set to automatic.

I tries to install several sound drivers like Realtek and SIS but the problem is still not resolved.

Here is the information for my Motherboard:

Field Value

Motherboard Properties
Motherboard ID -- 10/30/2002-SiS-645-6A6IXQ19C-00
Motherboard Name -- QDI Superb 4

Front Side Bus Properties
Bus Type -- Intel NetBurst
Bus Width -- 64-bit
Real Clock -- 100 MHz (QDR)
Effective Clock - 400 MHz
Bandwidth -- 3200 MB/s

Chipset Bus Properties
Bus Type -- SiS MuTIOL
Bus Width -- 16-bit

Motherboard Physical Info
CPU Sockets/Slots -- 1
Expansion Slots -- 6 PCI, 1 AGP, 1 CNR
RAM Slots -- 3 DIMM
Integrated Devices -- Audio
Form Factor -- ATX
Motherboard Size -- 220 mm x 300 mm
Motherboard Chipset -- SiS645

Motherboard Manufacturer
Company Name QDI Business Unit of Legend Holdings Limited
Product Information
http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/Products/products_p4.htm

BIOS Download
http://www.qdigrp.com/qdisite/eng/support/driver.htm

Can someone please help, because I really don't know what to do next...

Thx in advance

Hi don't know if you have this problem resolved yet, but I have the same motherboard, and use the sound drivers from Via Technologies Vynil AC"97 Combo Driver (WDM) no problems

Hi

I cannot explain exactly why this is a common problem with XP. I tried out the same stuff you did to no avail. Eventually I had to use the toshiba restoration disc that came with my Equium and it solved the problem.

My wife's computer also got the same problem after getting infected with lots of trojans and I had to re install windows. That has solved the problem for now.

Is your windows an original version coz I got the problem the first time when I tried to upgrade using a pirated copy...

someone with more win xp experience should help us out

my computer has no voice, it says that there is no sound device. before i've re-installed windows, there were not voice problems. :'( i've installed soundmax but it doesn't work. what shall i do? thank you

hi kunnita,,, had the same problem but somehow it got solved,,, reinstalled my windows! othrs have tried to no avail! keep following this thread,,, lets wait for the real masters!

I have re installed windows twice, but it doesn't work. I have never had this problem before:( maybe there are some technical problems, i don't know :( but copmuter says that i have no sound device :(

I have re installed windows twice, but it doesn't work. I have never had this problem before:( maybe there are some technical problems, i don't know :( but copmuter says that i have no sound device :(

I have the same problem, but when i click device manager its completely blank, theres nothing in it what the hell is wrong with my xp. this happaned a while back but i just got speakers, and i want sound again. Theres no audio devices, i cant use system restore to bring it back to a date when i did have sound. PLEASE HELP!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.