Hello:

I have a laptop with Windows 2000 and get the following error message when I bootup:

"Windows 2000 could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \WINNT\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM"

I wish to recover the data (files) from the hard drive. When I try reinstalling windows, i get the following message:

The following list shows the existing partitions and unpartitioned space on this computer. Use the up and down arrows to select an item on this list:

-to set up Windows 2000 on the selected items, press enter
-to create a partition in the unpartitioned space, press C
-to delete the selected partition, press D

19078 MB disk 0 at ID 0 on bus 0 on atapi
C: NTFS 19072 MB (7756 MB free)

I am unsure which option to choose. I want to keep the existing data on the hard drive and not erase it. Will one of the 3 options above be able to fix my bottup problem, while still keeping the existing data?

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Select the first option. It should then ask if you wish to try to recover a current installation. Don't choose the recovery "console", that's for lots of manual operations that you don't want to bother with. The recovery will reinstall all the system files and leave anything else on the computer intact.

Haven't had to do this myself in a long time, so I can't remember the exact order or options for the menus you go through.

wondering if anyone knew of any website or dealership that would give or let me make a FREE windows xp or Windows 2000 startup disk[s]

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.