I typed in a password by mistake and now can not get into my computer because it appears I have a bad mother board when I type in a letter it types in two letters. How do I recover and get into my computer?:sad:

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

This could be an issue with the keyboard too. Do you have a wireless or wired keyboard? Did you check the k/b on another computer? Did you check another k/b on this computer? What we need to do here is isolate the point of failure. Please try these steps and get back to us.

In the mean time, you can use the OnScreen Keyboard to enter the pasword. To bring up the OSK, at the login screen, press <windows>+U

Cheers

I'm really not computer savy so a kb is not something I'm familiar with

kb is the keyboard. that thing you use to type. :mrgreen:

Thanks for your advice to this computer unsavy person, I 'm not sure if it is wireless. When I turn on my lap top it goes from the dell logo screen:rolleyes: directly to a screen that says "This computer system #__________ is protected by a passwerd authentication system. You cannnot access the data on this computer without the correct password
Please type in the system or administrator password and press enter.
There is no place to actually type in the pass word. It want go beyond this screen. While it was bootin up I tried to use F2 and F12 and so on but it still goes back to the same screen . Will I need to trash it and buy another laptop
Thanks for any advice

I did hook up another keyboard but it does not seem to make any difference.
judymb

. Will I need to trash it and buy another laptop
Thanks for any advice

yes ,but you have to send me you old one ,lol just kidding .

when you boot your computer hold down the f8 key ,when you get the options on the screen arrow key up to safe mode ,hit enter ,say yes to the next prompts ,click on administrator when you get to the choices ,now go to start click on control panel ,when in control panel go to USERS Accounts ,in there click on change an account,then click on the one you use if more than one shows up.then click on change or remove password ,remove the one that there ..

Thanks for your advice to this computer unsavy person, I 'm not sure if it is wireless. When I turn on my lap top it goes from the dell logo screen:rolleyes: directly to a screen that says "This computer system #__________ is protected by a passwerd authentication system. You cannnot access the data on this computer without the correct password
Please type in the system or administrator password and press enter.
There is no place to actually type in the pass word. It want go beyond this screen. While it was bootin up I tried to use F2 and F12 and so on but it still goes back to the same screen . Will I need to trash it and buy another laptop
Thanks for any advice

Hi there

It seems to me from the decription given above that this Laptop has a BIOS password on startup before it even gets to load the operating system. Let us have the full computer name and model number which is found underneath the laptop.

Kindest regards

Darren
South Africa

Darren is right, this computer has a BIOS password.. and may be the keyboard on the laptop has a stuck key (possibly the Del or F2 key which helps in getting in to the BIOS as the case may be)..

because all this while the user did not have trouble logging in to windows, out of the blue this problem seems to have come.. I would suggest to check for any stuck key by manually pressing and releasing each and every key.. this might help.. let us know after trying..

Cheers!
-Kishore

Darren is right, this computer has a BIOS password.. and may be the keyboard on the laptop has a stuck key (possibly the Del or F2 key which helps in getting in to the BIOS as the case may be)..

because all this while the user did not have trouble logging in to windows, out of the blue this problem seems to have come.. I would suggest to check for any stuck key by manually pressing and releasing each and every key.. this might help.. let us know after trying..

Cheers!
-Kishore

Hello and welcome to Daniweb ,you should check the date of the post before replying ,almost a year old!!.lol

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.