Okay, I've had this computer for around two years and I've never had this problem before. Tonight my sound was working fine up until around two hours ago, then everything just stopped. Whenever I try to load a file in Windows Media Player I get this message:

"Windows Media Player cannot play the file because there is a problem with your sound device. There might not be a sound device installed on your computer, it might be in use by another program, or it might not be functioning properly."

And when I try to load iTunes, I get:

"iTunes has detected a problem with your Audio/Video configuration. Audio/Video playback may not operate properly."

And the sound icon in the bottom right hand corner of my screen has disappeared completely. When I went to my Sounds and Audio Devices settings in my control panel it said I had no audio device, no playback devices, basically nothing. But I apparently had them just a few hours ago, so...what on earth happened, and how do I fix it?

Reinstall the audio drivers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.