I have recently downloaded and installed m$ virtual pc, and installed vista premium on it. this means i have 2 vista versions on one pc! but i have a couple of problems. i have no sound, and it can only give vista 8mb of video ram, which makes the virtual pc really slow. it takes a million years to boot, and another million to load a program. it is a clean installation, without a single program on there, not even ones from hp!! Is there a way i can make it recognize my video card, as well as give it a speed boost. thank you.

Recommended Answers

All 14 Replies

bad bad bad

dont run the home versions of vista in a virtual machine - its against microsofts licence agreemenent to run the home versions in this way and if they find out then your product key will be blacklisted

4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.

To add to that Vista, Longhorn really creeps in Virtual mode. I use VM ware. as for adding more memory you have to shut down the VM then edit it select the memory setting and move the slider to what you want the VM to use.

bad bad bad

dont run the home versions of vista in a virtual machine - its against microsofts licence agreemenent to run the home versions in this way and if they find out then your product key will be blacklisted

Except that forumdude123 didn't say he/she was using Vista Home.

Except that forumdude123 didn't say he/she was using Vista Home.

yes he did

have recently downloaded and installed m$ virtual pc, and installed vista premium on it.

vista home premium doesnt allow virtualisation

vista home premium works fine on virtualization, though only 8mb video ram will work. no aero or usb is availiable. it even activated flawlessly!! what happens if M$ finds out, will i be charged with piracy??

See my link above. Now it's perfectly legal to use Vista Home Premium and Vista Home Basic in a virtualization environment.

no its not. its illegal - it says so on microsofts damn site and in windows itself

http://download.microsoft.com/documents/useterms/Windows%20Vista_Ultimate_English_36d0fe99-75e4-4875-8153-889cf5105718.pdf

scroll down to the section about home premium

it makes it quite clear

MICROSOFT WINDOWS VISTA HOME PREMIUM
ADDITIONAL LICENSE TERMS. The following additional license terms apply to Microsoft Windows
Vista Home Premium.
1. DEVICE CONNECTIONS. You may allow up to 10 other devices to access the software installed
with the licensed device to use File Services, Print Services, Internet Information Services and
Internet Connection Sharing and Telephony Services.
2. REMOTE ACCESS TECHNOLOGIES. You may remotely access and use the software installed on
the licensed device from another device to share a session using Remote Assistance or similar
technologies. A “session” means the experience of interacting with the software, directly or
indirectly, through any combination of input, output and display peripherals.
3. OTHER REMOTE USES. You may allow any number of devices to access the software installed on
the licensed device for purposes other than those described in the Device Connections and Remote
Access Technologies sections above, such as to synchronize data between devices.
4. USE WITH VIRTUALIZATION TECHNOLOGIES. You may not use the software installed on the
licensed device within a virtual (or otherwise emulated) hardware system.

what happens if M$ finds out, will i be charged with piracy??

your product keys may get banned

im with jbennet always follow advice from the manufactures not stuff u read from another website!

but u wont be charged with piracy but they will blacklist that product code so if u have the same licence key for both the virutal and normal pc they will both stop working. (thats if micorsoft find out but they prob will)

they will blacklist that product code (thats if micorsoft find out but they prob will)

yeah they probaby will blacklist him if he tries to activate it or use WGA

but u wont be charged with piracy but

they could potentially charge him with breaking the terms of the EULA but its highly unlikely.

so if u have the same licence key for both the virutal and normal pc they will both stop working.

no matter what version you have (even if you get one that allows it to be emulated) - you MUST NOT run the same key on 2pcs at once (physical or virtual) you will need two different licences for vista.

i uninstalled vista from the virtual machine, and am running ubuntu and kubuntu instead. the vista disc that i used was one from the hp express upgrade program for my old pc. it was installed on the virtual machine only, and not on another pc. it ran too slow after adding programs, so i removed it. ubuntu runs perfectly on the virtual machine. i guess one version of vista is enough!!

yeah

also because that copy was OEM, you not will never be able to install it again as it is now forever tied to the virtual machines hardware

the oem software was installed on another pc before, it was part of the hp express upgrade program.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.