Does anyone have information about Proxyway and ePrompter?

I used them and removed both when strange things started to happen. I think someone has and may still have remote access to my Home PC. Stuff got way too complicated for me and I took action.

I bought a new hard drive, slaved the old one and reloaded
XP SP2 with all current updates. Then I ran TM's HouseCall on all drives. I think the thing that goes bump in the night is still operating.

Three unexpected things have happened:

1. I no longer have the option to "Hibernate" or "Standby" out of Windows. It concerns me that Shutting down maybe giving the ghost opportunity to reload.

2. My sound is out and I can't find a Sound Device yet
a Notepad file just "appeared" on my desktop that reads:

"[InstallShield Silent]
Version=v6.00.000
File=Log File
[ResponseResult]
ResultCode=0
[Application]
Name=Realtek AC'97 Audio
Version=4.99
Company=Realtek Semiconductor Corp.
Lang=000"

Realtek is the name that used to show up as my sound and audio
program, I believe. I don't know what to do with that file!

3. Then a folder titled "Investments" which only had stuff to study, suddenly locked me out as not having permission! I don't use permissions of any kind because I'm the only one who Uses the computer. I managed to get a copy of the contents out and onto another media, but that file is locked tight.

I'm open for advice.

I haveAvast and AVG and SpyBot loaded simultaneously. A couple times a week I run XoftSpy or SE AdwarePlus. None of this has kept the ghost or my fears at bay. Al F.

Contributors
Replies
Views
10 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by jbennet

I second jbnnet's thoughts, first try uninstalling the old HDD and see if the problem is still there, and to make sure that your new HDD isn't effected.

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.