Hello All - I am new here and came here from Google because I am having the same problem described in another post but it was not really resolved. I also had a virus - I noticed it when I went to open Task Manager and noticed it only opened for 2-3 seconds then closed. I ran anti-virus programs and deleted some viruses but the Task manager problem still exists.

I downloaded a utility to start Task manager so that is solved but now, when I Restart the PC, it goes into this "loop". (I am able to boot by selecting "last good restart" option - but still have problems with the "normal" restart and Task manager problems.

I am trying to avoid having to re-install XP. Is there anything I can check? or should I just give up?

Thank you for any help.

Contributors
Replies
Views
9 Years
Discussion Span
Last Post by maui_mallard

The fact you can boot with last good restrart , show that something has entered your registry starting something that blocks you ! look up for something that can reinstal your previous registry, if you dont find it come back to me !.

Thank you for the help - btw - I also tried to system restore to january 2, but the restore failed. I think you are right.

I do not know of anything that could restore/re-install my previous registry - would you know of a free tool? I am also afraid to do more damage - I am not comfortable messing with the registry.

I was thinking maybe using msconfig and deleting all start tasks?

Thank you again for your help.

No one?

Thank you for the help - btw - I also tried to system restore to january 2, but the restore failed. I think you are right.

I do not know of anything that could restore/re-install my previous registry - would you know of a free tool? I am also afraid to do more damage - I am not comfortable messing with the registry.

I was thinking maybe using msconfig and deleting all start tasks?

Thank you again for your help.

Just to clarify things...

Does your computer turn on, get to the desktop then all of a sudden restarts?

I had this exact same issue before and it is easy to fix...

let us know

It never gets to the desktop.

Seqence is:

1. Dell (startup) screen
2. Windows XP Pr Screen
3. black scree
4. Small box saying "Windows XP is starting up" - or something like this

Goes back to #1

Thanks for any help - no one has been able to solve this.

Just keep pounding f8 until you get a startup menu...you will pound f8 continually right after the Dell startup screen, before the XP Loading Screen

This topic has been dead for over six months. Start a new discussion instead.
Have something to contribute to this discussion? Please be thoughtful, detailed and courteous, and be sure to adhere to our posting rules.